No announcement yet.

End of an Era, Matchmaker Joe Silva retiring

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End of an Era, Matchmaker Joe Silva retiring

Wow this one caught me by surprise. The fallout from this UFC sale is still coming down. Apparently the UFC main matchmaker got a nice lil payout from the UFC sale that he's decided to retire. No definite date on this, but its alleged he won't be around for 2017.

They still have Sean Shelby so its not like anything could drastically change with the excellent matchmaking the UFC does that to me is one of their greatest strengths as a company, but for sure Silva has been the main brain behind the fights that the UFC makes at all levels of the sport that have made it so competitive & its a huge loss for UFC the company & the fans of the UFC.

They probably wanted to cut his pay

Comment

Originally posted by OctoberRed View Post
      They probably wanted to cut his pay
      Word on the curb is he got a nice payout himself. He's 50ish iirc & seems to live a laid back non-fame existence so I imagine if you throw him $10M-$20M he's good for the rest of his days so I guess it could be these new guys threw him out or he quit over money or some other issue, but Silva seems like an important part of the UFC's success in my & other fans eyes & letting him go or pissing him off would be a horrible move.

I guess we will know for sure if he's shopping within a year or two for jobs cuz when they did Burt "We Rollin" Watson wrong his "retirement" didn't last long.

Comment

I sure hope not. Made some great matches. Although a few title shots weren't deserved, more for the ratings and PPV buys, so hopefully UFC ratings prevent that now. Really good job overall though.

Now if Dana White could just go away already.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          I sure hope not. Made some great matches. Although a few title shots weren't deserved, more for the ratings and PPV buys, so hopefully UFC ratings prevent that now. Really good job overall though.
          True. It seems like Bisping vs Henderson shouldn't be happening, but usually when they make fights like that there is some history, hype or reasoning for it like with that particular fight. Can't fault them for late notice undeserved title shots which are often some of the least deserved title shots, but the show must go on which is one of the things I love about the UFC.

Now if Dana White could just go away already.
          Brother you don't like Dana? For real the UFC won't feel like the UFC anymore once Dana & Rogan are gone. At least I can't see the transition point where it wouldn't feel like HBO Boxing anymore if they lost Lampley & Kellerman.

Personally I find Dana to be the single most consistently entertaining guy associated with the UFC. Granted I think some of Dana's stances & opinions are ****ty or just suck, but as a head of a sports league he pisses on everyone else even if he probably loses points with many people for his lack of "professionalism", but I think professionalism is overrated nowadays. Realness is what I appreciate & I think Dana is one of the realist guys in the MMA world.

Comment

Silva did a great job overall. I'm sure the job wasn't easy especially dealing with so many fighters pulling due to injuries and other mishaps like Jon Jones for instance, and scrambling for last minute replacements to save events.

Comment

Yeah, always thought Silva got underappreciated behind Dana's ultra bro attitude and attention whorin, will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                True. It seems like Bisping vs Henderson shouldn't be happening, but usually when they make fights like that there is some history, hype or reasoning for it like with that particular fight. Can't fault them for late notice undeserved title shots which are often some of the least deserved title shots, but the show must go on which is one of the things I love about the UFC.

Brother you don't like Dana? For real the UFC won't feel like the UFC anymore once Dana & Rogan are gone. At least I can't see the transition point where it wouldn't feel like HBO Boxing anymore if they lost Lampley & Kellerman.

Personally I find Dana to be the single most consistently entertaining guy associated with the UFC. Granted I think some of Dana's stances & opinions are ****ty or just suck, but as a head of a sports league he pisses on everyone else even if he probably loses points with many people for his lack of "professionalism", but I think professionalism is overrated nowadays. Realness is what I appreciate & I think Dana is one of the realist guys in the MMA world.
                Agreed on Dana. He isn't that popular with the fans but Dana White is the face of the UFC and it would be weird if he wasn't there.

Comment

I read somewhere he banked beaucoup bucks in a sale.

Comment

Working...
                  X