Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name the fighters who were able to have success after getting KOed unconsciously???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roberto Duran (Tommy Hearns KO)
    Lennox Lewis (wasn't out cold, but KO'd bad)

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
      Ray Robinson was only stopped once due to heat exhaustion and that was at the tail end of his career which was nowhere near the level of his early-middle career.
      It wasn't at the tail end of his career, it was after he'd collapsed from the heat against Maxim in rd 13. Didn't the ref collapse in rd 10 and had to be replaced? Ruby Goldstein I think. He was 32 and about half-way through his career although his peak had over. He retired for 3 years, doing a night club act as a dancer which eventually failed. His multiple fights with Fullmer, Basilio, Bobo Olsen, Pender etc. which really made him famous outside the boxing world were still to come and he kept fighting for another 10 years or so..

Comment

Originally posted by marvelousmatt View Post
        I thought Sugar Ray was ko'd by a body shot by Maxim and then quit boxing. He colapsed after that fight and story was he had intenal bleeding, no ?
        No. He was wavering all over the ring, throwing wild shots and losing his balance. He then stumbled to his corner and collapsed on the chair. In the previous rd it was not as pronounced. As I recall, the temperature at ringside was over 105 at the beginning of the fight and under the huge lights it was reported to have been much worse. Maxim wasn't doing much except absorbing his punches and lying on him every chance he got. He afterwards said it was his major plan. The ref collapsed from heat exhaustion and was replaced after rd 10.

Just my recollection, i could be a little wrong here and there.

Just checked and was reminded that Robinson swung, missed and fell flat on his face, and also lost 12 lbs. I believe he weighed 145 after the fight having weighed in at 157. Apart from Robinson and the ref. about 40 spectators were carried out from heat stroke. It was a real scorcher, and by the end, Robinson was giving away about 30 lbs.
        Last edited by edgarg; 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM. Reason: added a little

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
          I'm sure there's more than a few, especially among ATG fighters. Roberto Duran is a great example.

duran really wasn't out cold against hearns, though. he was still moving a bit initially, and after the count he stood up with some help before staggering around.

Comment

No i dont recall any. Some others posting names but most of thise guys were KO'd not out cold, not moving, smelling salt to wake up KO.

Comment

Harold Johnson

Dick Tiger wasn't out cold, asleep against Foster but he was near enough. And he was never the same after that fight but he did beat Benvenuti.
              Last edited by IronDanHamza; 02-25-2013, 07:14 PM.

Comment

when you get KOed nasty, it's over, might as well retire

Comment

Working...
                X