Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Gray Maynard Stand Any Chance What So Ever Of Beating Penn?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaps View Post
    Maybe BJ should fight Gray and Frankie Edgar at the same time! It would almost be fair then...
    this made me laugh out loud because i think BJ would have a chance...

Comment

if bj was only allowed to use one arm and was blindfolded and had his legs tied together...he still destroys maynard

Comment

think it was round 3 of maynard-diaz and diaz landed a shot and maynard dropped off camera and i think diaz raised his arms. did he drop maynard for sure or was it unlucky camera angle ?

Comment

IMO he got dropped and Diaz made the taunt......

Comment

Originally posted by Danny Gunz View Post
            The lightweight division will be in a standstill until BJ penn permanently moves up or retires.
            At least until we see what Gomi can do. And if he doesn't show up in the total awesomeness that I believe he will... Then until Shinya comes through.

Originally posted by kaps View Post
            Nate landed almost twice as many punches...
            I know. Too bad Nate isn't as good as his brother Nick. If it was Nick in there, Maynard would have been put to sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by Stalaggh View Post
              After that "knockdown" what did he do, he depended way to much on the overhand right and the occasional right hook and moved alot, while Diaz pestered him with the reach and combos. He started to land them a lot by the second round, the third was pretty obvious landed more. The rounds may have not been decisive but I looked for the most active and accurate fighter, Diaz's reach was something Grey couldn't handle and he made Maynard miss alot because of Grey's reluctance to throw more than two punches, though Maynard shrugged him off like nothing most of the times and made him miss too, Diaz was mixing his striking and beating Maynard to the punch.

IMO Diaz should have won that fight.....

Maynard got lucky, and the UFC hyping, since before the fight, the Maynard vs Penn fight is shameful. But one can't say he doesn't have a chance against Penn because its a different fight and strategy will come into play, Maynard won't be striking to much with Penn and might try more wrestling
              I don't think it matters too much what Gray did after the weak knockdown

different fight but if Rashad Evans can get a takedown and not take advantage on the ground .. yet not have it held against him

why should Maynard have it held against him that he did nada after the weak knockdown

so even if Gray getting that off balance KD was the sorriest punch landed in the entire fight it still scored and in the long run yeah he didn't follow up on it right away but don't you think if it came down to who won the round ... that is something that might stand out more to the judges?

Gray did look like he was trying to load up way too much and most of the time it did not work. according to www.fightmetric.com a site that scores fights based on the criteria of striking + grappling by the fights end Diaz landed 25 more punches

yet would have only gotten a draw on the 10-point must system, and lost according to Fightmetric

Diaz has the much longer reach and did trouble Gray with it and despite landing more punches I don't think Nate did it to the point of where the judges would have to score it for him .. talking about the whole fight here

which you even said about the rounds being decisive, they really weren't for either man. because even in the last round Gray did come on strong to finish the fight and that could of won him the round

Gray might have been tentative to throw more than one or 2 shots but Nate wasn't exactly landing 5-6 punch combos all night long. he certainly did look to get the better in the stand up, but I personally didn't even find it to be all that impressive.

and one would think that in a fight fought entirely standing up, the fighter who landed more should win, right?

but again I don't think Nate really greatly used the striking to his advantage (**more on this later), as I've seen plenty of boxing fights where one man lands + throws more yet still loses by decision

don't get me wrong, I saw the fight and I'll agree that Nate did bruise up Maynard's face .. but I really feel as a whole (** the later) his pitter patter punching was held against him, and despite landing more shots .. he was a victim of judging bias.

had Nate seriously rocked Gray or put him on his ass the fight might have been scored more to his favor ...although S******S makes a good point that it did look like Nate mighta got a KD in round 3, but due to poor camera angle its hard to tell what actually happened. (more UFC bias?)

back to Nate's pitter patter striking- because one of the official judges had Nate losing all 3 rounds, which is just not accurate to say, and true Maynard was grossly being hyped up as the next challenger to Penn

playing that into the equation (the Maynard hype) with the fight itself being a bit sloppy overall and tough to score

and the judges will probably lean toward the favored fighter.

Comment

Working...
              X