Boxing changing lives of underprivileged boys in Howrah's slums

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing changing lives of underprivileged boys in Howrah's slums

http://sify.com/news/boxing-changing...pp4khbiea.html

"This is a disturbed area. The boys here - both Bengalis and non-Bengalis -- are taking to anti-social activities due to poverty and lack of opportunities. From eve-teasing, murders, black-marketeering to a host of other anti-social activities, they do it all. I thought that through boxing they could find new direction, fight and establish themselves, achieve a good station in life. That's why we started boxing here," says Tapan Kumar Basu.

According to coach, Goswami Singh, in the last ten years, about 70 youths have found employment through boxing while many have become state-level and national-level pugilists. Every third house in the slum has a boxer in the family today.

Little bored of Floyd-Clottey-Pac talk.

Found this.

Always great to see boxing having a positive affect on peoples lives.

I guess I should have put Floyd or Pac in the title to get some attetion.

And the word duck and steriod for shock value like 80% percent of the threads.

Comment

Thanks for the post. It's always good to hear stories about boxing transforming lives for the better, this is what makes the sport so great. Appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by jonesy View Post
        Thanks for the post. It's always good to hear stories about boxing transforming lives for the better, this is what makes the sport so great. Appreciate it.
        no problem.

I almost can't beleive how many kids are getting into boxing there.

Every third house in the slum has a boxer in the family today.

Comment

wired how a sport that requires vlioence can bring great people out of it :Lol1:

Comment

Boxing I'd imagine is probably the best outlet for kids (people in general) in poorer areas. We are animals after all, and we are violent. Boxing provides a way to let that aggression out and also teaches many other valuable things like discipline and dedication.
            It's better to run yourself into the ground at a boxing gym to get a release than it is to do any of the aforementioned anti-social activities.

Far more people from all areas and backgrounds should be encouraged to take up or try, not only boxing, but any sport.

Comment

Originally posted by 20LH20 View Post
              Boxing I'd imagine is probably the best outlet for kids (people in general) in poorer areas. We are animals after all, and we are violent. Boxing provides a way to let that aggression out and also teaches many other valuable things like discipline and dedication.
              It's better to run yourself into the ground at a boxing gym to get a release than it is to do any of the aforementioned anti-social activities.

Far more people from all areas and backgrounds should be encouraged to take up or try, not only boxing, but any sport.
              Thanks.

That's what I'm talking about.

Great post

Comment

Working...
              X