Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learn how to score fights before claiming one fighter or the other won

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maidana threw twice as many punches, and FLoyd landed about 5 punches more.

Maidana won, for making and taking the fight to Floyd. If you throw that many punches you put yourself in danger of being counterpunched to death, and ko'ed with a punch you didn't see. Floyd didn't and don't take advantage of this and didn't ko him like Pac got ko'ed by JMM.

I don't count pitter patter punches that Floyd landed.
    I make my own rules as to how I judge a fight, and that's what basically the judges do as well.

Comment

I scored it a draw and kind of disagree with the OP.

I think if those were just two random dudes fighting on ESPN Maidana would have won it.

When Mayweather started taking over the second half of the fight and landing to the head there was this emotional shift in the sound of the crowd, the commentary, even the play-by-play thread on this forum, that simply wouldn't have been there if Floyd wasn't Floyd.

The tone suddenly switched to "The master is outboxing him, this was all part of the plan" and making a huge deal out of fairly average punches, using words like "domination" and "schooling".

If that was just some random fighter, he would have either not done enough to make up for the first half of the fight (if the judges preferred aggression), or he would have earned a draw.

Lets put it this way... After the fight there were a significant amount of people who think Floyd "looked hurt and confused on purpose" at the beginning of the fight as "part of his plan". What other fighter would receive that kind of absurd benefit of doubt?
      Last edited by E. O. Wilson; 08-14-2014, 04:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peach View Post
        I scored it a draw and kind of disagree with the OP.

I think if those were just two random dudes fighting on ESPN Maidana would have won it.
        Lmao, what a stupid thing to say.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

Maidana won, for making and taking the fight to Floyd. If you throw that many punches you put yourself in danger of being counterpunched to death, and ko'ed with a punch you didn't see. Floyd didn't and don't take advantage of this and didn't ko him like Pac got ko'ed by JMM.

I make my own rules as to how I judge a fight, and that's what basically the judges do as well.
          No body cares what stupid method you use to score a fight. It's obvious you dislike Mayweather, hence anything you say reeks of bias and is irrelevant.

Comment

OP is 100% correct, most people dont know how to score a fight.

the most common mistake is not counting defense and ring generalship, judging sheer aggression as opposed to effective aggression and not paying attention to whether punches are landing clean or not. hell, if they are even landing at all in some instances.

all these mistakes benefit the brawler and not a pure boxer like floyd. add a bias against floyd and you have people claiming he lost fights he clearly won.

floyd beat maidana by a comfortable margin, it was a competitive fight but there is no way anyone who knows how to score a fight would think maidana won.

Comment

Originally posted by hugh grant View Post

damn.. maidana threw twice as many punches and still landed less? thats a lot of points scored on defense for floyd!

lol.. you dont count pitter patter punches but you count punches that dont land.

thats what corrupt or incompetent judges do as well. good judges who know what they are doing follow the rules, the actual rules. if everyone made their own rules there wouldnt even be a point to having an official decision, people would be going around giving fights to the guy with the prettier trunks and ****.

Comment

Originally posted by #1Assassin View Post
                OP is 100% correct, most people dont know how to score a fight.

the most common mistake is not counting defense and ring generalship, judging sheer aggression as opposed to effective aggression and not paying attention to whether punches are landing clean or not. hell, if they are even landing at all in some instances.

all these mistakes benefit the brawler and not a pure boxer like floyd. add a bias against floyd and you have people claiming he lost fights he clearly won.

floyd beat maidana by a comfortable margin, it was a competitive fight but there is no way anyone who knows how to score a fight would think maidana won.
                seriously only something idiots that dont know how to score would do, you dont need to worry your tiny little head about such things, simply looking for punches and their effectiveness covers most of everything including that idiotic of counting defense (facepalm)

for the most part you only need live by one rule, damage done(via punches, derp), only when the punches/ damage is equal do you look at other things, if you realy dont want to score the rd a draw
                Last edited by SplitSecond; 08-14-2014, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Mayweather won 8-4 or 7-5. 9-3 Mayweather or 6-6 is probably justifiable, but extreme.

I can't see how the fight gets scored for Maidana. As much as NSB hates on Mayweather, they still come to proper scorecards for his fights. They aren't for the first Maidana fight, though.

Comment

I think you have to take Floyd's c0ck out of your mouth TS

Comment

Originally posted by TheHolyCross View Post
                      seriously only something idiots that dont know how to score would do, you dont need to worry your tiny little head about such things, simply looking for punches and their effectiveness covers most of everything including that idiotic of counting defense (facepalm)

for the most part you only need live by one rule, damage done(via punches, derp), only when the punches/ damage is equal do you look at other things, if you realy dont want to score the rd a draw
                      Yeeeeesssssss, thank you. I can't even count how many times I've argued exactly this.

Clean punches landed is by far the biggest criteria for scoring a round. Everything else should only come into play if the landed punches are close. Besides, defense and effective aggression tie back into who was landing more punches anyway.

The only time I consider ring generalship is when the landed punches are basically even and I score the round for whoever was dictating the pace of the round. Like, if Rigo and Santa Cruz fight and both land 8 punches but Santa Cruz only threw 30, because he's fighting Rigo's fight. That round almost certainly goes to Rigondeaux.

Comment

Working...
                      X