Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most Aggressive Heavyweight Champion In History?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, it was Tyson, with Jack Dempsey not very far behind.

On the Alex Stewart front, Tyson looked incredibly sloppy. It's better to be aggressive when you're composed, which he was for the better part of his career, and as Dempsey always seemed to be.

He even fell down against Stewart throwing ugly overthrown hooks while lunging forward through the air.

He was also pretty sloppily aggressive vs Lou Savarese. No composure whatsoever, and even barreled the referee over to get to Lou. I also noticed he was overthrowing his punches and aiming for Lou's neck. Moreso of being a classless guy who felt like he had something to prove and to try to make future opponents scared of him, when all it did was expose his insecurity and make him an easier fighter to beat.

Just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
      Tyson, closely followed by Dempsey.
      Those two pretty much stand out. Marciano and Frazier were aggressive, but they weren't out gunning for first round KO's every single time.

Comment

Originally posted by them_apples View Post
        it's either Dempsey or Tyson, probably Tyson though. That was what he lived to do.

I mean look at him vs stewart

For any weight class though, Duran at his best was a hell of an aggressor. Pacquiao in the lower weights as well.
        Tyson modeled himself after Dempsey.

Poet

Comment

Tyson for me

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Blue Yonda View Post
            Who gets your vote for the most ruthless, violent, explosively-aggressive HW Champion in division history?

I'm going to go with Dempsey, but there are some fine candidates...Liston, Foreman, Marciano, Tyson...
            Tyson based on what I've actually seen.

Comment

Dempsey was so aggressive that rule changes were imposed to limit the allowable aggression in boxing. In fact, rules were changed so when a KD was recorded, the puncher had to go to the neutral corner and this is because of Dempsey's tactics. Tyson never resorted to the same tactics because he was not allowed to do so under the modern rules. Still, Dempsey never resorted to cannibalism like Iron Mike did when he bit off part of Evander Holyfield's ear.

Muhammed Ali was aggressive in a defensive sense because he clutched and grabbed more than any other HW. Again, under modern rules and practices he would not have been allowed to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by jose_palooka View Post
                Muhammed Ali was aggressive in a defensive sense because he clutched and grabbed more than any other HW. Again, under modern rules and practices he would not have been allowed to do so.
                It was really only when he was past-prime (post-exile) that Ali resorted to clutching and grabbing to smother opponents offense. I'd also point out that that stuff goes on frequently in fights today so I seriously doubt Ali would have been penalized for it in this era. It was certainly never even close to being as eggreious as Akinwande's octopus performance against Lewis.

Poet

Comment

If only Bugner had won the title then it would be a shoe in

Comment

Originally posted by jose_palooka View Post
                    Dempsey was so aggressive that rule changes were imposed to limit the allowable aggression in boxing. In fact, rules were changed so when a KD was recorded, the puncher had to go to the neutral corner and this is because of Dempsey's tactics. Tyson never resorted to the same tactics because he was not allowed to do so under the modern rules. Still, Dempsey never resorted to cannibalism like Iron Mike did when he bit off part of Evander Holyfield's ear.

I guess you've never watched Wladimir Klitschko fight.

Comment

''I guess you've never watched Wladimir Klitschko fight.''

I mentioned on another thread that I've returned to watching pro boxing after a long lapse of several years and not seen him fight just yet. Therefore, please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong ~ has he resorted to clutching and grabbing with the same impunity Ali enjoyed in his later matches? Has he been DQ'd or have points deducted for doing so? Has this tactic lowered his standing with current boxing critics or fans?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Comment

Working...
                      X