Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “The Ring” Changes The Rules, Further Clouds Title Scene

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: “The Ring” Changes The Rules, Further Clouds Title Scene

by Cliff Rold - It’s been a little more than a decade since “The Ring” elected to begin handing out belts to men deemed to have validated their place as the legitimate World Champions of their class. The hope was clearly to add clarity to a title scene in boxing that had become laughable and restore some dignity to the label of champion.

Let’s be honest: it never had the effect hoped for.

In the last ten years, sanctioning bodies have become more brazen. The WBA regularly has three men in a single division claiming their world titles. The WBC introduced Silver and Diamond belts while allowing name fighters to claim vacant belts under all sorts of absurd circumstances.

Manny Pacquiao debuting at Jr. Middleweight at a catchweight against an Antonio Margarito with no chops at 154 lbs.? Belt it. Canelo Alvarez is fighting a Welterweight from the same gene pool as Ricky Hatton? Belt that too. [Click Here To Read More]

while i understood the context of the article, i had a hard time following the point presented.

Comment

this was posted lie a week or 2 ago

Comment

Originally posted by larryx2013 View Post
        this was posted lie a week or 2 ago
        Yes news of The Ring rule change and Rosenthal explanation for it, was posted like a week or two ago.

Now Cliff Rold is giving his opinion on the matter, just like Matthew Paras gave his on Maxboxing, and Tim Stark gave his on TQBR.
        Last edited by Roman Moreno; 05-10-2012, 01:41 AM.

Comment

The changes aren't too bad. The Ring belt is still theonly belt that actually matters in boxing. I don't know why these boxers contribute to the WBC's out there by recognizing their bs belts and paying their sanctioning fees. If it's not The Ring belt shove it up your @$$. LMAO at the WBC throwing their bs Diamond Belt at stake for the Cotto/Mayweather fight. These fighters need to pull a Riddick Bowe and dump that $hit in the trash where it belongs!
          Last edited by GodInFleshSuit; 05-10-2012, 01:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Camp Beast View Post
            The changes aren't too bad. The Ring belt is still theonly belt that actually matters in boxing. I don't know why these boxers contribute to the WBC's out there by recognizing their bs belts and paying their sanctioning fees. If it's not The Ring belt shove it up your @$$. LMAO at the WBC throwing their bs Diamond Belt at stake for the Cotto/Mayweather fight. These fighters need to pull a Riddick Bowe and dump that $hit in the trash where it belongs!
            This changes are terrible. The news diminish what the ring belt stands for.

Comment

Thanks Cliff.

You are now officially a hero for standing up for your beliefs and taking the consequenses accordingly. A (very) poor mans Nelson Mandela or Muhammad Ali. A hero to fans with historical interest in the sport nevertheless.

I fully agree with the line of thought in the article and definetely agrees that The Ring Magazine as the bible of boxing should be the beacon of excellence in a world where the alphabet mess is now worse than anyone thought possible.

Cliff does this mean that cyberboxingzone will get a much needed update?

Comment

Originally posted by BattlingNelson View Post
                Thanks Cliff.

You are now officially a hero for standing up for your beliefs and taking the consequenses accordingly. A (very) poor mans Nelson Mandela or Muhammad Ali. A hero to fans with historical interest in the sport nevertheless.

I fully agree with the line of thought in the article and definetely agrees that The Ring Magazine as the bible of boxing should be the beacon of excellence in a world where the alphabet mess is now worse than anyone thought possible.

Cliff does this mean that cyberboxingzone will get a much needed update?
                i think its the way boxingscene formats the article is why i couldnt really get it at first but now i see what the deal is. the ring belt is still IMO, better than what the sanctioning bodies offer, its not the greatest but in a way...its better than nothing in terms of keeping some sense of integrity

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
                  i think its the way boxingscene formats the article is why i couldnt really get it at first but now i see what the deal is. the ring belt is still IMO, better than what the sanctioning bodies offer, its not the greatest but in a way...its better than nothing in terms of keeping some sense of integrity
                  Yeah, but the belt is now devalued significantly and that's a damn shame considering the staus The Ring Magazine has (or rather should have).

As a determinant of lineage The Ring has likely played out it's role.

Comment

I also disagree strongly with the new Ring policy. There is a lot of gray area in the new policy.

Comment

Working...
                    X