Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Offense Is No Longer A Skill Of Boxing"-Haters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't agree with how this guy explained his point, but on the whole I actually agree with what(I think) he's trying to say.

To so many slick guys with great defenses are very skilled. But guys who are more offensive are face first brawlers.

Chavez Sr is a great example of this. People have this notion that he was like Margarito. Beside the fact he was a pretty good defensive fighter, he was amazingly skilled offensively....and I mean SKILLED.

Nowadays the term the connotation with the term "skilled" is almost always attributed to defensive fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by savorduhflavor View Post
      I don't agree with how this guy explained his point, but on the whole I actually agree with what(I think) he's trying to say.

To so many slick guys with great defenses are very skilled. But guys who are more offensive are face first brawlers.

Chavez Sr is a great example of this. People have this notion that he was like Margarito. Beside the fact he was a pretty good defensive fighter, he was amazingly skilled offensively....and I mean SKILLED.

Nowadays the term the connotation with the term "skilled" is almost always attributed to defensive fighters.
      that may be true. but how many skilled pressure fighters or offensive fighters do u see nowadays in the vein of guys like hagler, hearns, jcc, or a duran? truth is, many of the offensive fighters today are not as skilled as they were back in the days. offense is a skill and so is defense. but the both worth better in conjunction with each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Pacroid View Post
        Marquez gave hell to Pacquiao because he is a stupid offensive fighter.. If you got no deffense you'll get hit in the face puto.

Just like Pacquiao got so many clean punches landed in his face.

Did you see Marquez's face?

Marquez looked like he was cast for the boonies.

Pacquiao was unmarked aside from the headclash cut.

Comment

How many complete offensive fighters are there in the sport right now?

Marquez and Pacquiao are tremendous offensive fighters, IMO the two best offensive fighters, but neither is complete. The fighters closest to being complete fighters are guys who are defensively focused, it's just the way it is right now.

Comment

Defense wins games. This has been known to be fact!

Comment

Originally posted by rambov View Post
              Defense wins games. This has been known to be fact!
              Nope offense does you idiot.

Comment

WHEN YOU ARE OFFENSIVE, YOU HAVE TO GIVE UP SOME THINGS DEFENSIVELY. THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT.

OF COURSE AN OFFENSIVE FIGHTER WON'T HAVE THE LUXURY OF SITTING BACK AND POTSHOTTING. it's not their style.

I'd say Pacquiao is extremely efficient being offensive while being defensive. It is all in his footwork.

Watch his fights with Oscar, Hatton, Cotto, Clottey, Margarito and Shane.... None of those guys landed huge punches on Pacquiao at all.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr is another great example. Someone who is an extremely crafty offensive fighter.

Comment

Originally posted by reedickyaluss View Post
                  It's incredibly harder to dodge a punch than to throw one.

I love watching a masterful defensive boxer.

The sport has evolved, and I'm thankful for that.
                  duhduhduh

Comment

Originally posted by Ugh! View Post
                    duhduhduh
                    Yeah, you'd think I wouldn't have to point that out.

Comment

I'm about to blow the TS' world up by saying this... Pacquiao's offense isn't even that great! Sugar Ray Leonard had great offense, Thomas Hearns had great offense, Duran had great offense. Pacquiao, although he has good offensive tools his offense is not great. He often leads with his head when throwing his straight left leaving himself open to a counter left hook. His right hand is overrated as you could tell by the Marquez fight because Marquez was never dazed by Pacquiao's right hook.

Of course Marquez had more bruising in their fight, Pacquiao threw almost all of his punches exclusively to Marquez's face. While Marquez split his offense by going to both Pacquiao's face and body. Well rounded fighters must have great defense because great offense alone can only take you so far. By your logic TS Willie Pep would be one of the most overrated fighters in history. Did you know he won a round by not throwing a single punch?
                      Last edited by Johnwoo8686; 01-04-2012, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X