Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has any heavyweight champ fought more punchers than Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has any heavyweight champ fought more punchers than Lewis?

Lennox Lewis gets a bad rap for his chin, but has any heavyweight champion faced a better array of power puncher throughout their career? Notable fighters include Vitali Klitschko, Mike Tyson, Razor Ruddock, David Tua, Oliver McCall, Hasim Rahman, Tommy Morrison, Ray Mercer and Shannon Briggs. Lesser but other hard hitting heavyweights Tucker, Bruno, Golota and Holyfield. I haven't done the research on other fighter and am not claiming Lewis to have fought the best punchers overall...but by god thats a pretty impressive list of knock out artists!!

Gotta say Ali fought some real punchers but when you look at the list Lewis fought all the relevant punchers of his era.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
      Lennox Lewis gets a bad rap for his chin, but has any heavyweight champion faced a better array of power puncher throughout their career? Notable fighters include Vitali Klitschko, Mike Tyson, Razor Ruddock, David Tua, Oliver McCall, Hasim Rahman, Tommy Morrison, Ray Mercer and Shannon Briggs. Lesser but other hard hitting heavyweights Tucker, Bruno, Golota and Holyfield. I haven't done the research on other fighter and am not claiming Lewis to have fought the best punchers overall...but by god thats a pretty impressive list of knock out artists!!
      That is an impressive list. Back when there were punchers in the heavyweight division. I would still go with Ali fighting the likes of Shavers, Foreman and Liston. Holmes faced a few like Shavers, Mike Weaver, Cooney, Snipes and Tim Witherspoon as well.

Comment

Holyfield maybe? Tyson x2, Bowe x3, Alex Stewart x2, Michael Moorer, Lewis x2, Vaughn Bean, Ray Mercer, Foreman, Adilson Rodriguez, Rahman

I've probably missed a lot too but god damn that is some list.
        Last edited by dan_cov; 04-04-2013, 12:59 AM.

Comment

Joe Louis faced a fair few: The Baers, Marciano, ect.

Poet

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

You can't knock Lewis. He never was fearful of getting in with heavy handed foes. To be honest the 90s and early 2000s were full of decent heavyweight punchers, anybody could hurt anyone. Of the guys mentioned Tyson wasn't nearly as dangerous as he once was; but Tua, Ruddock and Morrison surely had some of the most powerful lefts in history and Frank Bruno was certainly one of the heaviest punchers for all his flaws.

I'd still say that Ali might have fought at least as good a list; as heavy handed as Vitali, Mercer, Golota, Tucker and Holyfield are.....I wouldn't class them as all time great punchers. McCall and Rahman were only really lauded due to their KO wins over Lewis himself.

But Ali faced:

Liston x 2
            Frazier x 3
            Foreman
            Lyle (its often forgotten how hard this guy hit)
            Shavers

he also faced many guys who may well equal the punching power of the likes of Holyfield, Golota or Tucker such as:

Ken Norton x 3
            Jerry Quarry x 2
            Mac Foster
            Oscar Bonavena

Dare I say Henry Cooper and Floyd Patterson had lethal left hooks too.....and he faced both twice each.

Its difficult when you are comparing punchers even a few decades apart. The heavyweights who were facing Lewis often weighed in excess of 230Lbs, which would be considered very large for the 60s or 70s. How do you compare a 230Lb Golota right hand to say a 190Lb Patterson left hook?

Naturally Ali was meeting lighter foes, but he was rather lighter than Lewis himself. Perhaps we must consider 'equivalent' punching power across the eras?

Comment

Originally posted by dan_cov View Post
              Holyfield maybe? Tyson x2, Bowe x3, Alex Stewart x2, Michael Moorer, Lewis x2, Vaughn Bean, Ray Mercer, Foreman, Adilson Rodriguez, Rahman

I've probably missed a lot too but god damn that is some list.
              this one i can't agree with. he wiped out tomato cans most of his career & never showed any true punching power vs legit opposition...

Comment

Considering Foreman, Liston, and Shavers are considered to be 3 of the hardest punchers in the history of the sport I would say the answer is "Yes, Ali did".

Those 3 alone punch harder than anyone Lewis faced in his career.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
                  Considering Foreman, Liston, and Shavers are considered to be 3 of the hardest punchers in the history of the sport I would say the answer is "Yes, Ali did".

Those 3 alone punch harder than anyone Lewis faced in his career.
                  Yes, but Im not talking about who fought the hardest puncher, but the most punchers. That said, Ali still may have it as there were several puchers such as Lyle, Mac Foster and a couple others that didn't come to mind right away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sugarj View Post

But Ali faced:

Liston x 2
                    Frazier x 3
                    Foreman
                    Lyle (its often forgotten how hard this guy hit)
                    Shavers

he also faced many guys who may well equal the punching power of the likes of Holyfield, Golota or Tucker such as:

Ken Norton x 3
                    Jerry Quarry x 2
                    Mac Foster
                    Oscar Bonavena

Dare I say Henry Cooper and Floyd Patterson had lethal left hooks too.....and he faced both twice each.
                    Despite the fact that Ali made quick work of him and on the basis of his reputation, I would add Cleveland Williams to that list, although he barely laid a glove on Ali during the brief encounter.

As for Ron Lyle, here's a reminder:

[vbtube]ywOdsh7Vs9w[/vbtube]

Comment

Working...
                    X