No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Photos: Abner Mares Stops Ponce De Leon, Wins Title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Photos: Abner Mares Stops Ponce De Leon, Wins Title

MGM Grand, Las Vegas - Abner Mares (26-0, 14KOs) became a three division world champion with a ninth round stoppage of Daniel Ponce De Leon (44-5, 35KOs) to capture the WBC featherweight championship. Ponce was down twice in the fight.
    [Click Here To Read More]

Mares proved to be the puncher in this fight. Ponce's jaw looked like it was broken to me after that second knock down. Not sure if I was just seeing things or not. He seemed to be talking a bit funny in the post fight.
    Last edited by rogdogx; 05-08-2013, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Early stopage

Comment

Both the knockdown punches were beautiful shots. I was shocked to see Mares hurt Ponce that way.

Comment

Abner surprised me the way he controlled & dominated PDL, good victory...probly fights Jhonny Gonzalez next, WBC mandate I read, but Castellanos deserves the shot w/his win over Caballaro...

Comment

Should have been given an opportunity to continue, especially considering he had fought his way back into the fight after a slow start and Mares looked like he was tiring in the middle rounds before that knockdown.

Comment

Originally posted by rogdogx View Post
              Mares proved to be the puncher in this fight. Ponce's jaw looked like it was broken to me after that second knock down. Not sure if I was just seeing things of not. He seemed to be talking a bit funny in the post fight.
              I noticed the same thing. So, it's not just you. It looked like he may have broken his jaw. I was really surprised, If anything I thought Ponce would knock out Amber Mares. I think the stoppage was premature.

Comment

First I want to say, Mares looked real strong at this weight, surprisingly strong. Got to hand it to Mares, sometimes he pisses me off with his recklessness in the ring, or at times he'll daze off and pay for it, but in the end he knows how to win. Feel sorry for him in the sense that it's around the 122-126 division where Top Rank-GBP need to work together, they should work together regardless but we're not gonna get any closure in the lower weight classes.

Comment

I thought Abner Mares took the wrong fight into 126lbs. I'm glad he proved me wrong and it was an exciting fight. All of Canelo's fan should behind Mares since they're both from the same city.

Comment

Originally posted by ediii89 View Post
                    Early stopage

^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                    X