Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anybody wish for something like the Contender back?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody wish for something like the Contender back?

I know it was an expensive ass show... but anybody else wish there was something like this back were they took prospects and journeymen and pit them together?
    Rewatching it on youtube...season 1 was great.

Yeah, definitely. IMO, The Contender shat all over The "Ultimate" Fighter series.

Comment

The Contender was an awesome show. I never missed one episode. I watched every single episode every single week because I never had a dvr back then. The best finale was Sakio Bika vs Jaidon Coddrington.

Everyone hated on that show, but what would have been cool would have been to record the episode everywhere week, and have the actual fight live on the undercard of FNF. I know it would cause problems here and there, but I think that would be awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is... View Post
        The Contender was an awesome show. I never missed one episode. I watched every single episode every single week because I never had a dvr back then. The best finale was Sakio Bika vs Jaidon Coddrington.

Everyone hated on that show, but what would have been cool would have been to record the episode everywhere week, and have the actual fight live on the undercard of FNF. I know it would cause problems here and there, but I think that would be awesome.
        Yea, that would have been awesome.... the sucky part is I don't think they'd fly them out of Cali for a FNF fight.
        What would be cool is if they built a show around their Contender fights with them as the main event.... or maybe on the undercard of a bigger event in the same location... I don't know.
        I know it cost 2 million an episode... maybe scale back the challenges cost wise and simplify it. Instead of moving their family out for everyone, reserve that for the second round.
        I don't know, just wish we had something like that. I see TUF have like 10 + season and the contender got cut off.

Comment

Originally posted by hougigo View Post
          Yea, that would have been awesome.... the sucky part is I don't think they'd fly them out of Cali for a FNF fight.
          What would be cool is if they built a show around their Contender fights with them as the main event.... or maybe on the undercard of a bigger event in the same location... I don't know.
          I know it cost 2 million an episode... maybe scale back the challenges cost wise and simplify it. Instead of moving their family out for everyone, reserve that for the second round.
          I don't know, just wish we had something like that. I see TUF have like 10 + season and the contender got cut off.
          Exactly. What turned people off to the show was the amount of editing each fight had. I wouldnt even mind an entire show1 hour show. 30 minute edited show to build each fighter, and just have 2 guys get down in a small arena with just their promoters, judges, and the rest of the contenders like they do on TUF.

I never understood why they tried to go out and make a huge production out of the fight. If these guy sare bonafide prospects and contenders, then them fighting in a 4 round fight, and knowing each round is really that important, should make the fight that much more intense. I think the show and fight would sell itself.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is... View Post
            Exactly. What turned people off to the show was the amount of editing each fight had. I wouldnt even mind an entire show1 hour show. 30 minute edited show to build each fighter, and just have 2 guys get down in a small arena with just their promoters, judges, and the rest of the contenders like they do on TUF.

I never understood why they tried to go out and make a huge production out of the fight. If these guy sare bonafide prospects and contenders, then them fighting in a 4 round fight, and knowing each round is really that important, should make the fight that much more intense. I think the show and fight would sell itself.
            I can kind of understand why the have the fight edited in there because you never know if it'll be the full 5 or a KO in 1.
            What they should do is work with ESPN (since they got pushed there) to put some fights on FNF.
            A lot of the editing though was just straight stupid.
            I just think boxing should have something like TUF.
            Some of the people on the show have gone on to win titles or fight for them.

Comment

only one I watched was the one with sergio mora and I liked that show.

Comment

Count me in!

Definitely a great show. I recorded season one episodes, but missed most of the subsequent shows, due to relocation issues beyond my control.

For me, the highlight of the show was that, because the prospects were aware of the lights - most for the first time, and because their significant others were allowed into camera, they (the contenders) became extremely boastful.

One such case I felt quite emotionally sorry for, was Ishe Smith, IIRC! His was particularly pathetic at the time, IMO, as he got eliminated early, despite his pedigree coming into, and his extreme boastfulness on, the show.

Several years and more misses later in the real world of professional boxing, Ishe now has a belt. I'm happy for him and his missus.

P34c3

Comment

TUF is just easier because it's only 2 rounds unless they need a 3rd. Its just stupid to have boxers with 20-30 fights under their belt go back to 4-6 rounds for a show.

Knockouts aren't as easy in boxing as MMA because boxers only use their fist so its harder to catch guys clean when u don't have to worry about kicks and knees. It 4-6 round boxing fights really put body punchers at a disadvantage.

Screw the reality show part I just wish we had more tournaments to show who the best fighters are. Screw golden boys 140 tournament its even stupider since Khan gets a free pass to the finals with an easy tune up.

Posted from Boxingscene.com App for Android

Comment

should have seen ga*****o then it had former champs shinji takehara and hatakeyama takanori as well hosting it pretty ****ed up show none of the boxers ever got to national level

Comment

Working...
                    X