No announcement yet.

Which Joe Louis opponents would be champions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Joe Louis opponents would be champions

Which Joe Louis opponents could be champion in another era of the sport?

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
    Which Joe Louis opponents could be champion in another era of the sport?
    Billy conn. And buddy Baer

Comment

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
      Billy conn. And buddy Baer
      He did off course face titlists max Baer 'primo carreera,jack sharky,max schmeling ,jersey Joe Walcott in fights he won and rocky marciano and ezzard Charles in losses.

Comment

Billy conn because he wouldn't be a heavyweight he would be light heavy weight ,I personally don't think any of that era fighter would be Hw champs post 50's...I think maybe Walcott at cruiserweight is a possibility. If you go back to Jack Johnsons era then ...guys like baer and even Carnera would stand out.a few others if you nit pick considering many guys Louis fought would drop weight classes at light heavy or cruiserweight.

Comment

It is unclear if the op was referring to heavy weight but I assumed he was and I picked conn to outbox Champs such as braddock and sharky. Buddy Baer was viewed as having enough talent to succeed max but Louis came along. I can see him beating a few Champs of the 30's

Comment

I would say Marciano would have beaten Patterson and Johansson and remained champ for a little while, though ultimately would lose to Liston.

Charles could be champ in just about any era really.

Walcott too, though at light heavyweight/cruiser instead of heavyweight.

Comment

Schmeling, Baer, Walcott, Charles, Marciano, Sharkey, Braddock, Conn, among others.

Comment

Originally posted by The Old LefHook View Post
                Schmeling, Baer, Walcott, Charles, Marciano, Sharkey, Braddock, Conn, among others.
                This Exaclty! ^

Sharkey was my initial thought!
                Primo too if Jess Willard was champ decades earlier!

Comment

Working...
                X