Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naazim Richardson= Overrated trainer. You cant be considered "GREAT" by piggybacking!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naazim Richardson= Overrated trainer. You cant be considered "GREAT" by piggybacking!

Naazim Richardson gets a lot of praise on this board and I really dont understand why.

His only 2 top fighters he has trained are two fighters that were already certified Hall of Famers when he began training them. Those 2 fighters are Shane Mosley & Bernard Hopkins. Naazim Richardson started being the head trainer for Bernard Hopkins when he was 40 years old at the end of 2005 for the Taylor Rematch. Bernard Hopkins knew all there was to know already at that time of his career.

Everything Hopkins does he has been doing before Naz was the head trainer. Hopkins was beating people down long before Naz was the lead guy. Bouie Fisher taught Hopkins everything and was the lead guy when Naz was just a cornerman...Naz was just the sidekick in the corner until 2005. Hopkins has lost more fights under Naz then he did before Naz was training him. He has lost 3 times under Naazims tutelage. His best wins under Naazim might be vs the Tarver that dropped 30-40lbs after the Rocky Movie that he outclassed or when he fought the Middleweight champion Kelly Pavlik @170lbs....its hard for me to decide.

He started training Shane Mosley in 2009 for the Margarito fight and Mosley was 37 at that time. That was a good win IMO but Mosley on any night beats Margarito. Shane Mosley wouldve beat him the same way even if Jack Mosley trained him that night. Also Antonio Margarito is one of the most over rated fighters in this era, even more so with the unearthing of his cheating.

Shane Mosley has 1 win, 3 losses & 1 draw under the tutelage of Naazim Richardson and has looked absolutely terrible against Mayweather, Mora, Pacquiao and most recently Canelo Alvarez. I dont ever see what Richardson does that is great, I have not seen him improve on either of these 2 fighters as their styles or skills havent changed since he began training them. He seems to provide nothing in the corner other than Sun Tzu: Art of War like quotes and simplistic over the top analogies.

How can you regard a guy as a GREAT trainer when he hasnt made a fighter "GREAT". If you start being a guys head trainer when he has already been in the game 20 years and is a certified all time great then how does that make you a great trainer? I know he is training some up and coming fighters but they arent GREAT yet so he has to prove how "GREAT" of a trainer he is.

Last edited by Atreyu Khalil; 05-27-2012, 10:55 PM.

He's ok.

He seems to have fallen off lately.

Comment

I agree he had very little to do with Hopkins and Mosely's success in 08 and 09 IMO

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
        He's ok.

He seems to have fallen off lately.
        I dont think he ever was on, he seems to be more of a motivator than a trainer.

Comment

Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
          I dont think he ever was on, he seems to be more of a motivator than a trainer.
          I think his whole claim to fame was timing.

He came in Mosley's camp when Mosley defeated Margarito.

Mosley's father had taken him as far as he could and when Richardson became Mosley's trainer, some thought that Richardson was on the verge of turning Shane into Bernard.

Comment

Originally posted by Mars Volta View Post
            I agree he had very little to do with Hopkins and Mosely's success in 08 and 09 IMO
            In 2008 Mosley beat Mayorga by KO, in 2009 Richardson started training him for the Margarito fight.

in 2008 Hopkins was being trainer by Richardson, in 2008 he Lost to Calzaghe then brought the MW champion Pavlik up to a 170lb catchweight. In 2009 he fought Enrique Ornelas @LHW who was really a MW.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxingGenius27 View Post
              I think his whole claim to fame was timing.

He came in Mosley's camp when Mosley defeated Margarito.

Mosley's father had taken him as far as he could and when Richardson became Mosley's trainer, some thought that Richardson was on the verge of turning Shane into Bernard.
              I dont see how he has even improved Bernard. B Hop has looked sloppy and boring in every fight that I have seen him in since Richardson has trained him. I think its B Hops own knowledge and dedication to his craft and body that has allowed him to fight this long and be effective not because of Naazim.

Comment

Originally posted by Atreyu Khalil View Post
                In 2008 Mosley beat Mayorga by KO, in 2009 Richardson started training him for the Margarito fight.

in 2008 Hopkins was being trainer by Richardson, in 2008 he Lost to Calzaghe then brought the MW champion Pavlik up to a 170lb catchweight. In 2009 he fought Enrique Ornelas @LHW who was really a MW.
                How did Mosley look against Mayorga? How did he look against Margarito?

Who trained Hopkins against Calzaghe? Who trained Hopkins against Pavlik?

Anyways, every fighter should have Richardson on their team. At the very least as an assistant and have him in charge of checking gloves. He knows more about the commission rules than the commission does. And, obviously any other trainer does too.

Comment

Originally posted by DOM 3.0
                  To me both Joel Diaz, Robert Garcia and Nacho are up there as trainers, they're very informative and know how to analyze opponents, I hardly ever disagree with the advice they give their fighter. Roach is overrated, I can't say Nazim is because no one really rates him that highly...
                  Thos are all great trainers you mentioned
                  -

Comment

I actually agree too. It also seems like he puts on an act for the camera with all his clever sayings.

Comment

Working...
                    X