No announcement yet.

Ike Ibeabuchi...what might have been?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ike Ibeabuchi...what might have been?

So I've recently reviewed his fights on youtube. With his speed, stamina, skills and strong chin. He would have dominate HW for a long, long time.

Do you think he could have sparked the **** out of Lennox and Klits brothers if he fought them?

He certainly had something going for sure, he was a mean strong HW that's for sure.. BUT...

Let's look at the facts...

His 2 claims to fame were against Byrd and Tua. Byrd had no firepower and could not hope to withstand that bull up close. Byrd was good but there was only so much flipping around he could do against Ike before he got tracked down and eliminated.

As for Tua? He was a hard hitter with a granite chin. But not exactly the stuff of brilliance in the boxing department.

WK eliminated Byrd easily and in style, VK was cruising to victory too until he tore his shoulder. LEnnox dominated Tua at the end of his jab the whole night whilst sipping a cup of tea!

I'd be very surprised if Ike could have handled a Tyson or a Holyfield let alone a technical giant.

His best bet, would have been a shot, past it Bowe, maybe he could of spanked him like Golota did and hope that his own mental instability didn't cause him to melt down like Golota did LOL

Comment

Yes, I think a vital ingredient that goes into the chemistry of all great champions is A STRONG MIND. This is an ingredient that IKE, in spite of his prodigious physical assets, did not possess (the man was diagnosed and incarcerated for being a nutter).

Comment

Originally posted by led View Post
        So I've recently reviewed his fights on youtube. With his speed, stamina, skills and strong chin. He would have dominate HW for a long, long time.

Do you think he could have sparked the **** out of Lennox and Klits brothers if he fought them?
        his speed was only average but his strength and stamina were amazing for a big man. I have a hunch hed have struggled with the long jabs of lewis and maybe even the klits but he beats everyone else in the division if he were around today

Comment

he would be labeled a bum once the klits dispose him easily like any other heavyweights (sam peters of the world)..

Comment

The Tua fight was legendary. Lennox and the K bros dispose of him, though.

Comment

Originally posted by lebrick View Post
              he would be labeled a bum once the klits dispose him easily like any other heavyweights (sam peters of the world)..
              Very true... (unfortunately)

Comment

Originally posted by Red Cyclone View Post
                Very true... (unfortunately)
                Yeah I never meant to take anything away from Ike above either. He was definitely a formidable unit. I think he'd have been strong competition for any HW, just not crafty enough for the upper echelons, more of a primal style, maybe just a bit better than Tua.

That mans statement was a fact though. Had a good strong fighter like Ike fought today, and lost to a Klitschko, he would instantly be labelled a bum.

But if he fought Lennox or Holyfield or Tyson and lost, he'd be considered a very tough opponent who they managed to defeat and a proof of the superiority of those opponents (which some say he already is based on beating Tua and Byrd).

Go figure!

Comment

He would have been like Tyson good but would have failed against the big super heavies

Comment

Ibeabuchi was big enough to handle the "super heavys". He could take a punch (went toe-to-toe with Tua), was a classic boxer with old-school wrinkles, had a very solid jab, excellent footwork, ring intelligence and threw educated combinations. The manner in which he beat both Tua and Byrd was impressive. He would've been a handful for either Klitschko based on that but, the truth is, we probably needed a greater sample size from him.

Comment

Working...
                    X