Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are PBC fighters promotional free agents?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are PBC fighters promotional free agents?

I know Golden Boy Promotions lost most of the guys that Haymon took over to Premier Boxing Champions. Does that mean most of the guys signed with Al Haymon are promotional free agents? I see guys like Errol Spence in Mayweather's entourage but when I look at the Mayweather Promotions website I don't see him listed as their fighter. Can somebody fill me in?

I think PBC is using DiBella Entertainment

http://twitter.com/loudibella/status/631644315719213056

Comment

I think PBC has a core group of 5 or 6 promoters that do all of their cards, but it seems like very few of the boxers signed to a managerial deal with Haymon also have a promotional deal with one of those 5 or 6 promoters.
      Last edited by Eff Pandas; 08-23-2015, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 285Kid View Post
        I think PBC is using DiBella Entertainment

http://twitter.com/loudibella/status/631644315719213056
        lou dibella must be loving it.he gets paid and basically does no work all he does is lend his name. we all know who the real promoter is.

Comment

Originally posted by GMAN SUPREME View Post
          lou dibella must be loving it.he gets paid and basically does no work all he does is lend his name. we all know who the real promoter is.
          DiBella is still working, what he's not doing is taking risks financially anymore cuz he's taking a flat fee as payment to promote fights vs putting his own money on the line to profit sometimes or lose it sometimes. I assume he is making more money cuz he seems arguably like the #1 promoter on PBC's depth chart & he is probably less stressed with guaranteed money these days so thats not a bad upside despite still working.

Comment

Originally posted by rogdogx View Post
            I know Golden Boy Promotions lost most of the guys that Haymon took over to Premier Boxing Champions. Does that mean most of the guys signed with Al Haymon are promotional free agents? I see guys like Errol Spence in Mayweather's entourage but when I look at the Mayweather Promotions website I don't see him listed as their fighter. Can somebody fill me in?
            What need is there to formally sign with a promoter when your manager/adviser has more TV dates than basically every other non-affiliated promoter combined?

I can understand a Canadian signing to GYM (the Canadian PPV access is seemingly only through Michel or Interbox), or a Mexican signing with Zanfer Promotions (Solo Boxeo, i believe, basically gives them access to 30-40 shows per year), but that's about it [DiBella Entertainment has basically put themselves into that conversation as well; long and strong track record of promoting fight cards in the Northeast, his regular Broadway Boxing series, and his co-promotional pipeline to a lot of the talent coming out of the Ukraine elevates his name in it all. Only hang up is that DiBella, until now with the PBC, was never really able to get a serious in with any major broadcaster to feature his fighters].

There's hardly a reason to obligate yourself to a promoter, especially with the TV access out of the promoter's hands and a fighter's camp willing to take a little risk and bet on the continued success of the fighter.

Basically the Haymon vision, as i see it, in a nutshell; control your own destiny, be the best fighter that you can be, winning fights gets you moved to bigger opportunities, losing fights sets you back a bit (though losing an exciting, even fight may simply leave you treading in place), and there are enough possible fight cards to keep the fighter as busy as they want to be kept (with opportunities simply limited to what opponents are ready to step in and how big an opportunity the fighter's camp is actually looking for).

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
              I think PBC has a core group of 5 or 6 promoters that do all of their cards, but it seems like very few of the boxers signed to a managerial deal with Haymon also have a promotional deal with one of those 5 or 6 promoters.
              Haymon is a promoter by proxy

Comment

Originally posted by i'm a fun haver View Post
                Haymon is a promoter by proxy
                HBO & Showtime are promoters by proxy too then. I wonder why no one got weird with mentioning "promoter by proxy" til Haymon came along.

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  There's hardly a reason to obligate yourself to a promoter, especially with the TV access out of the promoter's hands and a fighter's camp willing to take a little risk and bet on the continued success of the fighter.
                  Agree.

I'm still surprised more name guys aren't promotional free agents going to the highest bidder with each fight. Seems like they'd be a better way to maximize your income as a elite level name boxer.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                    Agree.

I'm still surprised more name guys aren't promotional free agents going to the highest bidder with each fight. Seems like they'd be a better way to maximize your income as a elite level name boxer.
                    most fighters sign with a promoter because they dont have the $100k+ that it takes to develop a fighter (non-olympian) from a pro-debut to their 15th or 20th fight.

Comment

Working...
                    X