Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is punching power simply a combination of speed and bodyweight?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of it is. And some of it is god giving that person the power to one punch KO people.

Comment

Originally posted by Slappin' Maxie View Post
      Some of it is. And some of it is god giving that person the power to one punch KO people.
      Genetics is a big factor but good technique maxes out whatever God gave you.
      If people said who has the greatest right most people would say Hearns. He had a God given right but they would be wrong he learned his right and mastered it. Look at it when he was 17

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThUhD...=results_video

he turned it from that to the best right there is through improved technique.

Comment

speed, strength, leverage, and timing.

Comment

Originally posted by Prince Mongo View Post
          Wrong, a tightly clenched fist tightens up the muscles in the forearm that inhibits speed. For the first part of the punch you want a degree of relaxation in the fist to have relaxed muscles in the forearm for maximum speed just as you would have a degree of relaxation in those muscles if throwing a ball at high speed. You can clench the fist more at impact but for max speed you don't want that before.
          Indeed, the throwing arm should be as relaxed as possible, but you don't "clench the fist more" at impact. You clench it as tightly as possible, otherwise you risk breaking a bone in the striking hand. This is vital with a bare-knuckle punch, but it's still very important even when wearing wraps and boxing gloves. Besides the safety issue, you almost certainly dissipate power when you connect with a "somewhat clenched" fist.

Comment

Also its worth remembering that in the Force=mass x Accelleration equation your body weight is not the mass. The mass accounts for how much of your body weight you can force into the fist (poorly worded but i hope you get my drift). The best punchers are the ones who can push as much of that body weight through the target as possible. Hence why a fat guy wont necessarily be a big puncher because his body weight is flopping all over the place, even drawing power away. So good technique is essential.

As others say there are other factors like accuracy and punching through the target. Also whether you are punching to the body or head the punch you dont see coming will hurt you most. So in that sense 'power' can be magnified by people who throw punches from odd angles (RJJ, Pac, Hamed) even if their actual force is equal or less to other fighters.

Comment

Originally posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
              Indeed, the throwing arm should be as relaxed as possible, but you don't "clench the fist more" at impact. You clench it as tightly as possible, otherwise you risk breaking a bone in the striking hand. This is vital with a bare-knuckle punch, but it's still very important even when wearing wraps and boxing gloves. Besides the safety issue, you almost certainly dissipate power when you connect with a "somewhat clenched" fist.
              You are right I could have worded it better but I would not go quite as far as clenching as tightly as possible.It wants to be a lot tighter so there is no leakage but does not need too much more than that. You get the degree of clenching needed with experience.

Comment

If you're looking just to hit bags and to be a strong puncher, technique is everything. It's the number 1 thing that generates your power. If your technique lacks in any area, you aren't maximizing your hitting potential.

A strong punch is about harmonizing your bodies movements, and carrying momentum from the ground up. By the time that momentum gets to the end of your fist, it should explode. The more refined your technique is, the faster you can make this happen. "Speed" is not just about moving fast. It's about refinement of technique, and minimizing loss.

That said, in an actual fight on the level we watch boxers, timing is everything. It's not the harder puncher, or faster one, it's the smartest one. And timing is smarts. The ability to recognize when somebody is going to attack, and intercept them while they're doing it, is the most devestating thing.

Pacquiao vs Marquez
                Mayweather vs Hatton
                Anything Donaire does

Comment

i feel one frequently overlooked factor is confidence. confidence gives a fighter the ability to take risks and sit down on his punches, and throw punches that he might not have otherwise thrown. the main example i have in mind here is sergio martinez.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexKid View Post
                    Or is there more to it? More contributing factors?

Is speed and bodyweight the most important factors accounting for say 90% of a punches power?

Or is power comming from other major factors as well?
                    Bone density using the legs as you punch lets say your throwing a hook you plant your lead leg to the ground with your body weight forward and knee bent and than pivot your foot with your hip behind it for extra power. If your looking to throw a hard right hand I always teach people to set it up by sifting your legs back and forth moving your head and body and when you think the time is right make sure you have your weight on your back leg and unleash with a spring effect as if you your a sprinter pivoting your back foot. Practice this on a bag til your perfect it before you try this in the ring. If you were here with me I could show much easier but I'm in San Bernardino Ca

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X
                      Error

An error occurred.

Sorry, the page you are looking for is currently unavailable.
                      Please try again later.

If you are the system administrator of this resource then you should check the error log for details.

Faithfully yours, nginx.