Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sergio Martinez: "I'll return in April or May, Argentina likely."

“Maravilla” Martinez Update

By Gabriel F. Cordero

Argentinian WBC middleweight world champion Sergio “Maravilla” Martinez has said that he is looking to defend his title next year in Argentina. “There is nothing definite yet, but I will return in April or May of 2014 and that this opportunity is in Argentina,” Martinez said during a press conference in Madrid, where he demonstrated support for the city’s bid for the 2020 Olympics. One source has indicated that Martinez is seeking to resolve in a short time some personal and sports situations. When he returns, Martinez is expected to go directly into a big fight with no tune-ups.

I'm glad he's looking for a big name with no tune up, but what big name is going to go to Argentina?

Comment

Come back to the US

Comment

Sergio Martinez + Big Name + Argentina = The Latin Snake

Whenever team Martinez mentions Martinez fighting a big name I laugh.

Comment

Originally posted by WARQUEZ View Post
          Sergio Martinez + Big Name + Argentina = The Latin Snake

Whenever team Martinez mentions Martinez fighting a big name I laugh.
          I think it'll be him too.
          Lou just signed him, he's a former world champ and, i feel, a top 15 MW.
          Dude's tricky

Comment

Sergio Mora is a really good boxer, he just lacks power but he has great defense and is a great counter puncher. It would be kind of a tune up though but I can't hold that against a guy coming off of major injuries and a year layoff.

Comment

Originally posted by mathed View Post
              Sergio Mora is a really good boxer, he just lacks power but he has great defense and is a great counter puncher. It would be kind of a tune up though but I can't hold that against a guy coming off of major injuries and a year layoff.
              Mora a very underrated boxer. Forrest is the only guy who beat him convincingly. Dude is slippery and hard to look good against. If Martinez looks remotely good, he'll get some points... at least on here

Comment

I don't see Martinez vs Mora happening at all. It would be a terrible fight to watch. Both fighters need an aggressor (or at least someone who doesn't move a lot) to look good. Even with Dibella being Mora's promoter, Dibella isn't stupid enough to not see the styles clash. I don't think HBO would approve a Mora fight for Martinez anyway. Look at the shit they're giving Ward for wanting a tuneup. Well, unless Cotto is the "tuneup."
                Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 09-06-2013, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Any word on when they'll announce the fight

Comment

http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/news...box&type=story
                    Martinez, 38, has set his sights on the boxers to keep alive the boxing action in the coming weeks and months: Floyd Mayweather Jr, Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez, Miguel Angel Cotto, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Russian Gennady ' GGG 'Golovkin.

Of all of them, who have their place secured in the Hall of Fame, are Mayweather Jr. and Cotto. What about the weight?, No problem, since the Argentine will be willing to fight each 155-160 pounds.

"A few weeks ago we met in San Antonio and there take a decision," said Lewkowicz.

"Sergio is not going to fight until May or June of 2014 to recover one hundred percent of their injuries. Upon his return will be a worthy and great rival. Going to fight the best.'s Not going to fight preparation, will run the risk of going to a big fight against a future 'Hall of Famer' "he said.

Martinez, who has branded 2.2.51 and 28 KOs, defeated in September 2012 Chavez Jr. by unanimous decision not before visiting the canvas in the latest assault in a fight that had dominated from start to finish.

Martinez will announce his opponent before the end of the year, agreed after the clashes between: Miguel Cotto and Delvin Rodriguez on October 5, Mayweather Jr. and Alvarez on September 14, Golovkin and Curtis Stevens on November 2, and Chavez Jr . vs. Bryan Vera on September 28.

"We will wait to see the winners of each of those bouts.'s Decision will be in November or December.'ll Be a fight at 160 pounds although it is possible that we could agree on a weight between 155 and 160", he said.

There's a video interview where Martinez was asked whats' left for him to do. He something like "Today I have Cotto... Golovkin who's hitting very hard. Golovkin is a great champion of my weight class as well. I don't know what I have left, great names or great rivals. Cotto is a great name. Golovkin is a great rival. So I'm going to sit down with my team and study it well to see which options are the best. There's also important things like the purses because a fight with Golovkin today would be five times less than a fight with Cotto.
                    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 09-06-2013, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X