Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Paul Williams/Trinidad have beaten Floyd?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Paul Williams/Trinidad have beaten Floyd?

After this weekends domination, I'm trying to think of recent welterweights that could've beaten Floyd. Only two that come to mind in the last fifteen years that I think could've beaten him are a prime Tito Trinidad, and recently Paul Williams.

I just see Tito's jab being able to control the fight and PWillie's huge reach, height (I've met him in person, I'm a legit 6'1 and he was easily an inch taller), and insane workrate would've been enough to get a decision over Floyd.

What do you guys think?

As a side note, as far as all time welterweights that I think definitely beat FLoyd, I gotta go with Leonard, Hearns by KO, and SRR.

Tito has a slight chance, Paul Williams has absolutely no chance. Guy's that I always thought would trouble Floyd are Winky and Vernon, from this era of course.

Comment

wiith that power definitely tito vs floyd is a 50-50 fight

Comment

Neither of them would do very well against him, IMO. Trinidad has a puncher's chance, but we've all seen how well that works with Mayweather, and Williams is the most overrated fighter outside of Valero in recent memory. Forget about his physical advantages, they wouldn't come into play in the fight because they never did because he made a habit out of going to war with smaller men like an idiot. He was also thoroughly outboxed by Carlos Quintana, which highlighted some glaring flaws in his game.

Out of recent welterweights, I think prime versions of Antonio Margarito and Vernon Forrest give Floyd the most difficulty from a stylistic point of view. Winky Wright also deserves a nod in that category.

Comment

Not imo...both get outboxed

Comment

Originally posted by ßringer View Post
            Neither of them would do very well against him, IMO. Trinidad has a puncher's chance, but we've all seen how well that works with Mayweather, and Williams is the most overrated fighter outside of Valero in recent memory. Forget about his physical advantages, they wouldn't come into play in the fight because they never did because he made a habit out of going to war with smaller men like an idiot. He was also thoroughly outboxed by Carlos Quintana, which highlighted some glaring flaws in his game.

Out of recent welterweights, I think prime versions of Antonio Margarito and Vernon Forrest give Floyd the most difficulty from a stylistic point of view. Winky Wright also deserves a nod in that category.
            Someone finally said it! One of the most over hyped fighters of his time. And he never used the physical attributes that his fans love to point to.

Comment

Didn't even think about Winky...That would be a pretty boring, but extremely fascinating fight. Winky's style would drive Floyd crazy, it'd be interesting to see how he'd do against a guy that he couldn't tag with lead rights.

Comment

Williams reach isnt worth mentioning at all because he did not use it

Comment

Winky and Forrest would have the best shots,i agree

Comment

Originally posted by Fballguy924 View Post
                    Didn't even think about Winky...That would be a pretty boring, but extremely fascinating fight. Winky's style would drive Floyd crazy, it'd be interesting to see how he'd do against a guy that he couldn't tag with lead rights.
                    Yeah, I'm not saying that Floyd/Winky would be a barnburner or anything, in fact, they'd make Klitschko/Ibragimov look like Hagler/Hearns by comparison. But stylistically Winky poses a lot of problems for Floyd, assuming we could find 3 judges hyped up on enough cocaine to stay away long enough to score it.

Comment

Working...
                    X