Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What boxing ATGs were footballers/basketballers?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
    This is the type of talent the US is losing to football. Imagine if this kid concentrated soley on boxing what he MIGHT have become. Funny thing is there are for more talented athletes than Zbikowski in football and basket ball.

Tommy Z could probably box part-time and knife thru todays entire Cruiserweight AND Heavyweight top contenders with no problem.

Compare the clip above to this clip of Olympic gold medalist and top Cruiserweight prospect Rakhim Chakhkiev fighting the same caliber of oppoent and PLEASE tell me with a straight face there isn't a VERY stark difference in athletic ability and talent.

Comment

P4P top 3 Sergio Martinez use to play soccer. i have to call it soccer cause of you american fatties. I would skill Sergio Martinez up in a game of wembley soccer singles.

Comment

[QUOTE=-Deal With It-;11597552]Tommy Z could probably box part-time and knife thru todays entire Cruiserweight AND Heavyweight top contenders with no problem.

Compare the clip above to this clip of Olympic gold medalist and top Cruiserweight prospect Rakhim Chakhkiev fighting the same caliber of oppoent and PLEASE tell me with a straight face there isn't a VERY stark difference in athletic ability and talent.

No guarantee he see's world level success, but it's undeniable the United Stated is losing its best athletes to much more popular sports. The NBA and NFL are strategically marketed so kids therefore are much more likely to play those sports.

Comment

No guarantee he see's world level success, but it's undeniable the United Stated is losing its best athletes to much more popular sports. The NBA and NFL are strategically marketed so kids therefore are much more likely to play those sports.
          When a so called "world class Heavyweight" has devolved into the likes of Dereck Chisora & Tyson Fury... i would put my life savings on him having "world level success".

Comment

I saw Seth Mitchell for the first time the other week, looked promising. Turns out he’s ex-football and was inspired by this Tommy Z to make the transition.

NFL/NBA rejects still have potential in boxing at a late age; that says everything you need to know about how much of a drain they are on the American talent pool.

Comment

Misleading post since there are a combined 244 million people in those countries and 311 million in the United States which means we're sending an enormous amount of talent to much more popular sports.

On top of that, number doesn't dictate where the talent is at. See my Zbikowski post for confirmation.
              There was nothing misleading at all, I was just stating facts. There are 392 pro heavyweights in the US compared to 17 in Russia.

1) a higher number of kids go into boxing in the US

2) there are still FAR more boxing gyms in the USA than anywhere

3) 392 pro heavyweights out of a population of 311 million in the USA is a much higher percentage than the 17 out of a population of 143 million in Russia. It is also higher than 17 out of 46 million in Ukraine and 32 out of 62 million people in the UK.

Do the math.

The combined population of Russia, UK and UA is 251 million. The combined number of HWs is 66.

66 from 251 million is a much smaller percentage than 392 from 311 milllion.

So a much higher percentage of big men go into boxing in the USA than anywhere else.

I agree most American kids don't go into boxing, most go into other sports. It's always been that way. My own father told me not to take it up because it's a poor man's sport. But a higher percentage of Americans go into boxing than in European countries, where kids are even LESS LIKELY to choose boxing.

So "they are all in the NBA and NFL" is a weak excuse. With it's large population of 311 million and HIGHER PERCENTAGE of big men that go into boxing, the US should still be dominating the heavyweight division.

When I was last in the USA, it seemed a larger percentage of people were obese than when I was there a decade before.

I think Americans need to look at the real reason they have no good heavyweights: lack of fitness. Look at how physically fit Holmes, Holyfield, Ali, Louis and Frazier were compared to the modern American HWs.

I bet there's a few of those 392 American heavyweights that could give a good fight to any of the 17 Ukrainian HWs or any of the 17 Russian HWs, if only they would get in shape.

American boxing fans can b1tch and whine all they want about all the good big athletes going into the NFL, but until they face up to the REAL problem, they'll never be another American heavyweight champion.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom.
                There was nothing misleading at all, I was just stating facts. There are 392 pro heavyweights in the US compared to 17 in Russia.

1) a higher number of kids go into boxing in the US

2) there are still FAR more boxing gyms in the USA than anywhere

3) 392 pro heavyweights out of a population of 311 million in the USA is a much higher percentage than the 17 out of a population of 143 million in Russia. It is also higher than 17 out of 46 million in Ukraine and 32 out of 62 million people in the UK.

Do the math.

The combined population of Russia, UK and UA is 251 million. The combined number of HWs is 66.

66 from 251 million is a much smaller percentage than 392 from 311 milllion.

So a much higher percentage of big men go into boxing in the USA than anywhere else.

I agree most American kids don't go into boxing, most go into other sports. It's always been that way. My own father told me not to take it up because it's a poor man's sport. But a higher percentage of Americans go into boxing than in European countries, where kids are even LESS LIKELY to choose boxing.

So "they are all in the NBA and NFL" is a weak excuse. With it's large population of 311 million and HIGHER PERCENTAGE of big men that go into boxing, the US should still be dominating the heavyweight division.

When I was last in the USA, it seemed a larger percentage of people were obese than when I was there a decade before.

I think Americans need to look at the real reason they have no good heavyweights: lack of fitness. Look at how physically fit Holmes, Holyfield, Ali, Louis and Frazier were compared to the modern American HWs.

I'm sure there is at least one or two of those 392 American heavyweights that could give a good fight to any of the 17 Ukrainian HWs or any of the 17 Russian HWs, if only they would get in shape.

American boxing fans can b1tch and whine all they want about all the good big athletes going into the NFL, but until they face up to the REAL problem, they'll never be another American heavyweight champion.
                Tell than what physical sports are being marketed in those countries in a way that makes a kid believe he can get paid the way they do in the US? Are wrestling and Hockey HUGE money makers attracting the youth of those countries like that of the US? I doubt it. And your assumption of heavyweight from America is ridiculous since almost every heavyweight besides the Klits is a slob and from countries all over.

And trust me, there will be another American heavyweight champion. He won't be coming from Canada, but he will be from America, g-u-a-r-a-n-t-e-e-d.

PS-just curious, why haven't you commented on the Tommy Z posts?

Comment

the biggest atg of all time. curtis woodhouse

Comment

Originally posted by -Deal With It- View Post
                    Marciano was a varsity football & baseball player for his high school

Lewis played football & basketball (in Canada) in High School

Tyson didn't even attend school, where he would be able to participate in organized athletics. Cus got ahold of him and threw him in a boxing gym.

The rest, have no clue...

But what's your point?
                    Holyfield... Football

He got injured i think, then stepped into a boxing Gym

Comment

Originally posted by JDezi4 View Post
                      Holyfield... Football

He got injured i think, then stepped into a boxing Gym
                      wat

Was he in the peewee league when he got injured? Because Holyfield has been boxing since before he even hit puberty.

Comment

Working...
                      X