No announcement yet.

DiBella: "Martinez Won't Go Fight Bigger Bums Like Pacquiao"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stefl14 View Post
    Strongly disagree with the bolded in this case. Martinez dominating a weak division doesn't impress me. There is nothing great about beating people like Barker I'm afraid. Martinez asks for a Floyd/Pac fight all the time even though he would outweigh Pac by 20-22 pounds (Pac is ~ 148 on FN and Martinez is ~ 168-170) and it is my belief that he would outweigh Floyd by about 13-15 pounds. Martinez moving up to super middle, where most guys are around 178 on fight night, would be giving up much less of an advantage than Pac and Floyd would be giving up by fighting Sergio. As I pointed out in my earlier post, it would be less outrageous for Sergio to fight Hopkins than Pac to fight Sergio.

.[/B]
    If Martinez was fighting at 154, he would not be 170 on fight night.

Why are guys using this inflated Sergio as the benchmark?

Comment

Originally posted by Gino Ros View Post
      Moving up to fight Williams and then fighting Pavlik.

punk moves?
      Those wins are incredibly overrated at this point. They are very good wins, but the fact people consider him p4p #1 based on those wins is ridiculous.

And they weren't punk moves, they were real fights that a real fighter made. I'm worried that Sergio is looking at his age, looking at how little time he has left until he is past it, and is not going to challenge himself anymore because he is desperate for that big payday.

He mentions Pacquiao, Mayweather, Cotto, and Chavez Jr. all the time. He doesn't mention anyone else. Why not keep proving yourself as a p4p fighter by fighting some more beltholders in your division while you are chasing the payday? You put yourself in better position for those paydays if you keep cleaning the division out.

Comment

Dibella needs to stop mentioning Pacquiao's name. All Manny has done is carry the sport of boxing, gain worldwide appeal, and bring exciting fights. (-Mosley) DiBella only gets press when he's bashing TR or Pacquiao, and he knows it.

Why isn't he promoting Martinez more? Why isn't Martinez fighting Pirog? There's a wealth of talent at 168, why is that so out of the question but DiBella thinks Pacquiao is ducking Martinez?

Get a life Lou.

Comment

DiBella really wants Martinez beating up on Midgets smaller than him so he can make more money. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to tell that Martinez is naturally bigger then both Pac/Floyd. Pac/Floyd are small fighters who don't really even belong at 154.

Comment

Manny only moved up to 154 to face Margarito, and Mayweather only moved up to 154 to face De La Hoya. So the argument that Martinez only moved up to 160 to face Williams is BS because now he has stayed there. Mayweather and Manny immediately moved back down. Secondly, while Manny and Floyd stayed in their divisions there were actually within the scope that there was a SMALL chance they could lose. Martinez is fighting a 25-1 underdog as a HBO Main Event... If Manny or Floyd even chose someone like that as an opponent they would be RIPPED by everyone, somehow Sergio gets a pass?

The excuse that he is too small is BS, Manny was too small for Oscar. No one is saying Sergio needs to move up to 168 and immediately step in with Froch or Ward or Kessler. But I'd be ok with him against Miranda who is garbage a very probably win and get his legs wet in the weight. But for his promoter and Sergio himself to call out smaller guys while at the same time saying Sergio is too small for certain divisions is just pathetic. Sergio, most overrated fighter currently and possibly aside from DLH the most overrated in 10-20 years.

But, I guess that is what happens when you beat fellow overrated Paul Williams.

Comment

Sergio fought (and ruined) Pavlik.
              .... B-Hop.

Comment

Originally posted by Beater_of_ass View Post
                Manny only moved up to 154 to face Margarito, and Mayweather only moved up to 154 to face De La Hoya. So the argument that Martinez only moved up to 160 to face Williams is BS because now he has stayed there. Mayweather and Manny immediately moved back down. .
                OK, Fair enough. So, we agree that May & Pac are WW's, and Sergio is a JMW.

What's so wrong with a JMW wanting to fight the #1 fighters who happen to be one division lower at WW?

Did anybody call Hagler a b!tch for pursuing a Leonard fight?

Comment

Originally posted by davis828 View Post
                  .... B-Hop.
                  I think Pavlik could reconcile losing to Hopkins at 170 much more easily than the way his face got busted up at his preferred weight class.

Comment

dibella is right. martinez fights bums his own size while ducking all the dangerous middleweights.

Comment

I think Pavlik could reconcile losing to Hopkins at 170 much more easily than the way his face got busted up at his preferred weight class.
                      That's a good point, but it was his first loss against an old guy who was suppose to be on his way out. He wasn't the same afterward.

Comment

Working...
                      X