Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Golovkin's Trainer: Canelo is The Fight That Should Happen Next

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sirron000 View Post
    What do you have to support this argument, Saul was guaranteed 5mil plus PPV upside against FMJ and walked away with 12mil.

Please explain to us how GGG will make more than 15mil. Last I checked FMJ doesn't have $50 seats so we know this fight you speak of won't outsell the gate or PPVs sales.
    I didn't say out sell I'm not an expert, but I can see this fight doing at least 1.5..think of all the promotion going behind it..plus who is going to offer 15 mil to someone just to be kind??They know its going to generate a ton of money and if they do it 50-50 or 60-40 Golovkin is going to make more than 15 mil

Comment

Different fights are expected to generate different revenues.

Payments and splits can only be meaningfully discussed in the context of the revenues expected for a given fight.

GGG Jacobs is a decent fight and will generate decent revenues so the argument is only about how to split decent money. For one of these guys to demand $15m for example would have been insane because the fight wouldn't make enough. And for one of them to offer the other $1m was insane because the fight was attractive enough - because of both fighters - to make enough for their respective contributions to be respected and pay more. Jcobs held out because he felt he was contributing enough to the revenues to deserve more than the 75/25 split and he may well have been right.

The reason $15m is not enough for GGG in a GGG Canelo fight is that this is seen as the biggest fight in boxing for next year. It is not the biggest fight because of Canelo, or because of GGG but because of the fact that it is BOTH these guys. They are both contributing to it being such a big money fight. You can argue Canelo is the A side, and I think that's fair. But to ignore GGG's contribution to making it a huge fight is just silly. You can't have a fight where the two guys make the fight a huge fight and then not respect that reality in negotiation of terms. Let's just imagine for a minute that this fight nets $100m to be distributed to the fighters. Is it fair to only pay GGG $15m? Is there any way that Canelo could make $85m without fighting GGG. Maybe, but it is one of the very small number of fights that can make him tens of millions of dollars. This reality has to be respected.

So to offer GGG $15m is not a serious offer and ODH knows it. This offer is just to stave off the anger of fans about Canelo being seen as ducking GGG.

Comments about how $15m is a lot of money and how GGG should just accept it are just naive. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. Yes, it's a lot of money. But such comments just betray a complete lack of understanding of the business. There are only two kinds of people who make these kinds of comments - trolls and business naifs.
      Last edited by petegrif; 01-04-2017, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
        after Jacobs fight he will have an IBF mando due, so if he cant get Saunders I would assume he will take care of that mando before Canelo....
        Could end up same situation as last year, after he beat Lemieux. He had an IBF mando due, but the IBF allowed it to be on hold while they wasted time negotiating with Canelo. They would've done the IBF mando in February instead of late April, which ultimately cost him a fight last year. I think it would be beneficial for GGG to have his stadium fight back home.

I don't know what's up with the IBF mando though. Tureano has a fight in 3 weeks with no opponent announced and Derevyanchenko has also yet to announce any future fight. GB sounds adamant that Tureano is still the mando, but IBF hasn't said anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Eastcoast View Post
          Could end up same situation as last year, after he beat Lemieux. He had an IBF mando due, but the IBF allowed it to be on hold while they wasted time negotiating with Canelo. They would've done the IBF mando in February instead of late April, which ultimately cost him a fight last year. I think it would be beneficial for GGG to have his stadium fight back home.

I don't know what's up with the IBF mando though. Tureano has a fight in 3 weeks with no opponent announced and Derevyanchenko has also yet to announce any future fight. GB sounds adamant that Tureano is still the mando, but IBF hasn't said anything.

That was when Canelo still had the WBC title and it would have been a unification fight, which trumps the mando. That is no longer the case.

Comment

Originally posted by OnePunch View Post
            considering you havent the slightest idea what other terms or conditions were in the offer that you so confidently think should have been accepted, I think you've made it quite clear that yes indeed you are dumb.

Was there language limiting GGG revenue in a rematch? Was there language giving Golden Boy an escape clause? (considering that their offer to Chavez had a rematch clause, its pretty obvious that their GGG offer had an escape clause)

So without knowing the first thing about what other issues there might be with the "offer", you have concluded that it should already have been accepted, a year away from the fight?

And you have the nerve to state that you aren't dumb???

LOLOL
            So since you are so smart please elaborate on the terms of the Golden Boy Promotions offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Pan-Africanist View Post
              So since you are so smart please elaborate on the terms of the Golden Boy Promotions offer.
              thats the whole point genius, NONE OF US know all the details. Which is exactly why anyone claiming he should accept it at this point is a complete moron

Comment

Originally posted by petegrif View Post
                Different fights are expected to generate different revenues.

Payments and splits can only be meaningfully discussed in the context of the revenues expected for a given fight.

GGG Jacobs is a decent fight and will generate decent revenues so the argument is only about how to split decent money. For one of these guys to demand $15m for example would have been insane because the fight wouldn't make enough. And for one of them to offer the other $1m was insane because the fight was attractive enough - because of both fighters - to make enough for their respective contributions to be respected and pay more. Jcobs held out because he felt he was contributing enough to the revenues to deserve more than the 75/25 split and he may well have been right.

The reason $15m is not enough for GGG in a GGG Canelo fight is that this is seen as the biggest fight in boxing for next year. It is not the biggest fight because of Canelo, or because of GGG but because of the fact that it is BOTH these guys. They are both contributing to it being such a big money fight. You can argue Canelo is the A side, and I think that's fair. But to ignore GGG's contribution to making it a huge fight is just silly. You can't have a fight where the two guys make the fight a huge fight and then not respect that reality in negotiation of terms. Let's just imagine for a minute that this fight nets $100m to be distributed to the fighters. Is it fair to only pay GGG $15m? Is there any way that Canelo could make $85m without fighting GGG. Maybe, but it is one of the very small number of fights that can make him tens of millions of dollars. This reality has to be respected.

So to offer GGG $15m is not a serious offer and ODH knows it. This offer is just to stave off the anger of fans about Canelo being seen as ducking GGG.

Comments about how $15m is a lot of money and how GGG should just accept it are just naive. Sorry, but that's the truth of it. Yes, it's a lot of money. But such comments just betray a complete lack of understanding of the business. There are only two kinds of people who make these kinds of comments - trolls and business naifs.
                This fight is not going to net a 100 milliion purse for the fighters. NO fight has ever netted a 100 million purse other than Floyd/Pac. The fight might generate a 100 million in revenue from PPV sales, the gate and sponsors but no way is Canelo walking away with 85 mil. There have been only 5 fights that have had over 1.5 mil PPV buys in boxing, those included Floyd or Tyson. So there is no way this fight will do that many PPV buys especially with people being able to stream fights for free. 15 mil is a fair offer to GGG when Canelo would probably be taking home over 20 million after all the money is split up. Canelo is making over 10 mil a fight while GGG is only getting 2 mil from K2. Floyd would make a lot of money because he would get his fight purse plus all the revenue because he is self promoted.

Comment

Then stop pricing yourself out. Jacobs asks for 3 mil and everybody has a fit. GGG turns down 15 mil and Canelo's the ducker. Lol I will never understand NSB logic.
                  That's because you don't understand basic principles like market value, or the concept of apples and oranges. Fighters deserve to be paid the market value percentage of the money they generate in a given matchup. Jacobs does not generate 3 mil which is why his asking price got criticized. GGG would generate much more than double 15 mil vs Canelo, not to mention getting a percentage is standard (even Jacobs gets a percentage vs GGG), so he doesn't deserve criticism for demanding a percentage when that is 100% normal in big PPV fights.

Is that NSB logic or just actual logic? If you have none, then obviously seeing some would confuse you. Doesn't make you right. How soon we forget we just went through this same dog and pony duck show with Floyd using the flat fee bull**** to duck Manny? You already forgot that?

Hell, I can play your dumb game back to you if you want, but instead I chose to just explain the whole situation and shut down your dumb comparison completely. But if you want, I'll use your exact format to turn around your dumb comparison and expose it for you. Here you go... First, what you said.

Jacobs asks for 3 mil and everybody has a fit. GGG turns down 15 mil and Canelo's the ducker. Lol I will never understand NSB logic.
                  Now turning it around to show how dumb it is....

GGG asks for a percentage vs Canelo and everybody has a fit, says Canelo is the A-side and GGG can't make demands. Jacobs asks for a percentage vs GGG and y'all say Danny "deserves" it even though GGG is the A-side, and ya'll say GGG is ducking. Lol Pan-Africanist doesn't use logic otherwise he would already understand this without me having to explain it.
                  See how easy? So don't criticize the "NSB logic" of people like me when you're the one who clearly didn't think things through before posting.
                  Last edited by Boxing Logic; 01-04-2017, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Frog View Post
                    I wish you were wrong, but this sounds about right.
                    we might get Golovkin/Charlo, Golovkin/Ramirez, and Golovkin/DeGale before we get Canelo/Golovkin

Comment

To expand on my comment about the hypocrisy and double standards of some GGG haters, I've even seen dumba$$es say since GGG was the A-side in negotiations with Danny Jacobs, that means it was GGG's "responsibility to make the fight happen" by giving Jacobs what he "deserves." And not "deserves" by the normal cold, hard, fact-based financial standards, but "deserves" in terms of merit as a talented, accomplished fighter. But then of course when they talk Canelo-GGG, they don't say GGG deserves more than Canelo because GGG has more belts, and is an equally accomplished fighter, or any of that. Then they just go back to judging purely on finances. "Canelo is the bigger star." Well yeah GGG is a way bigger star than Jacobs but y'all still say Jacobs "deserves" what he demanded even though if you still judge by star power, he didn't.

See how crazy that **** works with these double standards? They contradict themselves. When Floyd is the A-side, Ward, even Canelo now since y'all riding with him to take out GGG, y'all say the A-side is a position of power that can make "demands." But when GGG is the A-side, it's no longer a position of power, it's a position of responsibility. Instead of making demands, you're supposed to give away charity.

Crazy how that works right? Let's use Spider-man as an analogy to expose the hypocrisy GGG haters are displaying on this power vs. responsibility topic. It's like when fighters y'all are fans of are the A-side, you say they get to swing around New York, fight the Green Goblin, and **** Mary Jane, and that that's their right as the A-side, but when fighters y'all hate are the A-side, y'all say they have a responsibility to use they Spider-man powers only to babysit yo grandma while she going out to buy groceries so she don't get mugged, and y'all say Spider-man never beat a top villain anyway so he don't even deserve to be considered as one The Avengers.

Like really? When Floyd the A-side, it means he's supposed to receive the lion's share of the money, but when GGG is the A-side, now suddenly "A-side" means you're supposed to give away way more money than your opponent will generate fighting you because it's your "responsibility" as the A-side. It's ****ing ridiculous.

NO MATTER YOUR OPINIONS OR FAVORITE FIGHTERS, AT LEAST TRY TO BE ****ING CONSISTENT YA'LL! NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION! SOME ****ING CONSISTENCY!
                      Last edited by Boxing Logic; 01-04-2017, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X