No announcement yet.

Midnight's "How to be successful in America" : Soccer/Football Edition

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
    Only because after every play they have about half an hour to pat each others' arses. Rugby league is a game of inches too, but they don't celebrate every tackle with a team song.
    Squeal, this is gonna be an argument that you lose. Besides this has been discussed in the forum to death already. The violence of Football(American), is not comparable to any other sport. To include Rugby.

You guys kill me with the "Yank" bashing. On one hand you all claim to be more "civilized" than Americans, but in the same breath try to say your sports are more brutal(which completely contradicts "civilized" thinking), more strenuous, and more skillful. I call bull****.

It's just plain ol' American bashing once again. It would be better if you all kept it simple and just typed one sentence that effectively conveyed how you all feel; like this......................"**** the U.S.A!!!!!" Or "You're from the United States; we DONT like you!"

I got the free speech memo(REALLY, I got it!!!!). But give the "Yank" bashing a rest for a second. It honestly gets tiring to see day in and day out.

Comment

Squealpiggy is an English Canuck. Dude watches curling while drinking crappy Canadian adjunct lager. Smart guy but fuck his opinion about football.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief2ndzOnly! View Post
        Squeal, this is gonna be an argument that you lose. Besides this has been discussed in the forum to death already. The violence of Football(American), is not comparable to any other sport. To include Rugby.
        It may be more "violent" if that's any indication of quality in a team sport (although some of the rules do belie this assertion - "we're the most violent team sport in the world ooh ah he touched my face mask!") but that doesn't mean they have to do little victory dances every time they manage to move a few feet. The play clock spoils it for me. Canadian football seems to move at a better pace with the shorter play clock and only three downs. For an all-action sport there's very little action in American football.

You guys kill me with the "Yank" bashing. On one hand you all claim to be more "civilized" than Americans, but in the same breath try to say your sports are more brutal(which completely contradicts "civilized" thinking), more strenuous, and more skillful. I call bull****.
        I don't think that anyone has said that "their" sports are more "brutal". Well, apart from you that is. I just think that there's too much hysteria around American sports. Ever heard the baseball commentary when someone does a routine catch but happens to use an ungloved hand? It's like someone has managed to shit martians. That sort of catch is made in every over of every cricket match ever played at any level but it's treated as though it's impossible to catch a moving ball without having a massive mickey-mouse glove to help you.

I got the free speech memo(REALLY, I got it!!!!). But give the "Yank" bashing a rest for a second. It honestly gets tiring to see day in and day out.
        Considering this thread was just another "you soccer playing guys are pansies" type thread I don't think a reaction against crappy yank sports is an outrageous response. Again going back to something you said earlier, Americans are ALWAYS saying that their sports are more brutal and damaging as though this is a virtue so great that it trumps watchability or skill.

Unlike a lot of the other brits I've been fortunate enough to witness yank sports first hand in their home environment as well as seeing multiple British and European sports played at the highest levels. There's a huge philosophical difference between the approaches taken towards spectator sports on the two continents that is immediately obvious if you experience them both. European people go to games to see the game. In North America people expect to be entertained, which is why they have jumbotrons and chant music and the love-cam and all that nonsense.

The difference was summed up for me when I went to a hockey game and got seats at centre-ice by the penalty box. Two kids came up from the very back of the rink after a couple of guys from the very front left and asked if they could have those two ridiculously good seats right up against the glass. They sat there in the best seats in the house straining their necks to watch the game on the big screen above when the live action was a hair's breadth in front of their faces.

Squealpiggy is an English Canuck. Dude watches curling while drinking crappy Canadian adjunct lager. Smart guy but **** his opinion about football.
        I'm a Brit living in Canada. I drink scotch. I don't watch eskimo bowling.

Comment

Squeal has me rollin in this thread

OMFG.

Comment

Originally posted by squealpiggy View Post
            It may be more "violent" if that's any indication of quality in a team sport (although some of the rules do belie this assertion - "we're the most violent team sport in the world ooh ah he touched my face mask!") but that doesn't mean they have to do little victory dances every time they manage to move a few feet. The play clock spoils it for me. Canadian football seems to move at a better pace with the shorter play clock and only three downs. For an all-action sport there's very little action in American football.

I don't think that anyone has said that "their" sports are more "brutal". Well, apart from you that is. I just think that there's too much hysteria around American sports. Ever heard the baseball commentary when someone does a routine catch but happens to use an ungloved hand? It's like someone has managed to shit martians. That sort of catch is made in every over of every cricket match ever played at any level but it's treated as though it's impossible to catch a moving ball without having a massive mickey-mouse glove to help you.

Considering this thread was just another "you soccer playing guys are pansies" type thread I don't think a reaction against crappy yank sports is an outrageous response. Again going back to something you said earlier, Americans are ALWAYS saying that their sports are more brutal and damaging as though this is a virtue so great that it trumps watchability or skill.

Unlike a lot of the other brits I've been fortunate enough to witness yank sports first hand in their home environment as well as seeing multiple British and European sports played at the highest levels. There's a huge philosophical difference between the approaches taken towards spectator sports on the two continents that is immediately obvious if you experience them both. European people go to games to see the game. n North America people expect to be entertained, which is why they have jumbotrons and chant music and the love-cam and all that nonsense.

The difference was summed up for me when I went to a hockey game and got seats at centre-ice by the penalty box. Two kids came up from the very back of the rink after a couple of guys from the very front left and asked if they could have those two ridiculously good seats right up against the glass. They sat there in the best seats in the house straining their necks to watch the game on the big screen above when the live action was a hair's breadth in front of their faces.

I'm a Brit living in Canada. I drink scotch. I don't watch eskimo bowling.
            so you formed an opinion about a whole country and how they celebrate going to football games based on 2 kids you saw at a hockey game... remind me to never read your opinion again... if you ever been to an american football game you would know everything u said about just being entertained is absolute bull****.. stick to talking about soccer and which teams are gonna end up tying eachother or some ****

Comment

this thread reminds me of this old add

Comment

Originally posted by bullq21 View Post
                so you formed an opinion about a whole country and how they celebrate going to football games based on 2 kids you saw at a hockey game... remind me to never read your opinion again... if you ever been to an american football game you would know everything u said about just being entertained is absolute bull****.. stick to talking about soccer and which teams are gonna end up tying eachother or some ****
                Reading comprehension is a bit of a problem for you I see. The two kids with premium seats expending effort to watch the big screen is illustrative of the philosophy. It is not the basis of my opinion. I've experienced sporting events in Europe and Britain and North America and also spoken to people who have played hockey in the UK and in Canada and they have made this observation.

Comment

Originally posted by bullq21 View Post
                  so you formed an opinion about a whole country and how they celebrate going to football games based on 2 kids you saw at a hockey game... remind me to never read your opinion again.
                  So you formed an opinion about a person based on one post... remind me to never read your opinion again.

Comment

I just wanted to add. Diving isn't okay in the MLS. You'll get fined for pulling a Busquets.

Comment

Originally posted by Dem Eyes View Post
                      So you formed an opinion about a person based on one post... remind me to never read your opinion again.
                      he posted a bunchj of times in thsi thread and all of them have been ******* posts

Comment

Working...
                      X