Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RIP PRINCE, Legendary pop star dead at 57!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Mud View Post
    Think i stopped at Batman. Obviously ive heard the singles from Diamonds and Pearls and Graffiti Bridge, but never bothered with the whole album. I think i listened to N.E.W.S.

Im bit like one of those people who says theyre a boxing fan but stopped watching it after Leonard-Hagler. Im a Prince fan but havent listened to anything since 1990.
    Easier to recommend me albums.
    Jesus, that's a LOT.

To tell the truth, I do look at him as an 80s artist. His run from 1980-1987 was superb, barely a foot wrong. After that, well... Batman was a decent album, but a sell out album.

The 90s stuff.... I can pick out odd tracks like:

(The video and drums not part of the real song, but that's all that's on YT of that one).

So, let me see... after Batman, the **** cranked out another 31 albums, at least 8-10 of which are utter crap and **** all over his legacy.

But these ones are fairly worth checking out...

<-+O (1993)
    The album named after his symbol, but before he decided it was his "name". Contains the above track, but is overlong, and VERY hit and miss. Contains arguably his lowest-ever moment in "3 Chains O' Gold", which is so obviously a rip off of Bohemian Rhapsody it's actually painful. Diamonds and Pearls, while derivative, also has no bad tracks, and Graffiti Bridge also has its moments. (Along with, in the title track, possibly his worst song of all time).

The Gold Experience (1995)
    This is pretty good. It's far "cheesier" than his usual stuff, with the big hit being The Most Beautiful Girl in the World, but it's got a bit of fire and snap to it.

The Truth (1998)
    An acoustic album. Pretty decent.

The Rainbow Children (2001)
    He decided to go into some jazz-funk area (like with NEWS), which I was kind of pleased about, as at least it was something NEW.

Musicology (2004)/3121 (2005)
    These two would have made a nice Indian summer to his career, as, while they don't compare with his peak, they saw him get it back a little, and would have been good to have retired on. Sadly he carried on making records for another decade after this, most of which were utter ****. (In between these two, he also found time to crap out two internet-only albums, The Chocolate Invasion and Slaughterhouse, which were complete cack).

Comment

• I think i listened to Musicology the other night Or maybe it was 3121. Not bad. I have all his albums, just never listened to them. I'll add those u mentioned to my playlist.
      In his prime, his shows just **** all over everyone else.

Comment

• In Minnesota, 307 new HIV cases, nearly 8,000 living with infection
        Growth in HIV infections remains unchecked in Minnesota, a state health report revealed Thursday.

http://www.startribune.com/in-minnes...ion/301827401/

Comment

• This just blew me away.

Comment

• No love for the Batman album? I personally loved it, what do you rate it, Anorak?

Trust, Arms of Orion, and Partyman were my fav cuts.

Comment

This just blew me away.

Mannnn, need a little something in my cup to kick back and listen to that again, superb,

Comment

This just blew me away.

That was incredible.

I'm sure it's been posted but his "while my guitar gently weeps" solo performance with Tom Petty was another great example of how good he was on the guitar.

Comment

• Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                  No love for the Batman album? I personally loved it, what do you rate it, Anorak?

I really like Vikki Waiting and Electric Chair.

Comment

• Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                    No love for the Batman album? I personally loved it, what do you rate it, Anorak?

It's very enjoyable, but is a sell out moment.

Comment

• looks like he left a vault full of music to last 1000 years

Comment

Working...
                      X