Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Name Some Successful Fighters Who Started After Age 30...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
    Campbell is a good example of someone who started at over 20yrs who had success. Campbell didn't start boxing til he was 24.
    Now that's very inspirational...Campbell is a small guy too...not a HW...very inspirational...

Comment

He's not a boxer but he is as fighter now...and his name is Herschel Walker he made his MMA debut at the age of 48 and is 2-0...

Comment

Originally posted by TripleGFightFan View Post
        Bernard Hopkins...went to jail at 17 and learned how to box there got out 4 years later and debuted at 21...

Sergio Martinez debuted at 22...

"Before boxing, Martínez was a keen cyclist and football player and it was not until 1995 that he decided he would become a boxer. After being trained by his uncle, Ruben Paniagua, Martínez began boxing as an amateur and compiled a record of 39–2 (39 wins to 2 losses), the losses came by way of majority decision and knockout."

"Martínez at the age of 22, had his first professional fight on 27 December 1997 in Ituzaingo, Buenos Aires, Argentina"

I know they weren't close to 30 but they started late or after 20 and they're not HW either...
        I'm talking about boxing (as the other guy was too I believe), not just pro boxing. Lotsa guys make late pro debuts. In particular in this era when there are exceptional amateur programs all over the globe that can make amateur boxing your livelihood & job til you're too old to compete. Turning pro early or late is a arbitrary thing to focus on imo. When someone picked up the gloves & started competing is more meaningful.

I believe Sergio started close to 20 so he's borderline. Bhop had over a 100 amateur fights (with just 4 L's) & was a child protege basically (had his first fight at 10) who was a f#ck up which landed him in the can where everyone seems to wanna start his story at these days. Being a jail boxer is a better selling point than a talented amateur boxer who was a f#ckup doe so I understand the angle.

Comment

I'm talking about boxing (as the other guy was too I believe), not just pro boxing. Lotsa guys make late pro debuts. In particular in this era when there are exceptional amateur programs all over the globe that can make amateur boxing your livelihood & job til you're too old to compete. Turning pro early or late is a arbitrary thing to focus on imo. When someone picked up the gloves & started competing is more meaningful.

I believe Sergio started close to 20 so he's borderline. Bhop had over a 100 amateur fights (with just 4 L's) & was a child protege basically (had his first fight at 10) who was a f#ck up which landed him in the can where everyone seems to wanna start his story at these days. Being a jail boxer is a better selling point than a talented amateur boxer who was a f#ckup doe so I understand the angle.

Good info about Bhop...guess he learned to stop f^ckin' up huh?..lol...a thing about amateur and pros...don't you hear often that the pros is different from the ams?...but I think its good to get amateur experience for fundamental reasons unless a person has good natural instincts and reflexes...

Hey...we could almost say Seth Mitchell right?...

Comment

Isn't Ward bi-racial (white and black)?...I never looked it up but a lot of people say he's bi-racial (white and black)...
            Yea. People dumb af.

"Irish" Andre Ward with his dad.

But to some people even if you are half Irish you're still a n!gg@ to them.

Comment

I didn't know that

Comment

Bernard Hopkins...went to jail at 17 and learned how to box there got out 4 years later and debuted at 21...

Sergio Martinez debuted at 22...

"Before boxing, Martínez was a keen cyclist and football player and it was not until 1995 that he decided he would become a boxer. After being trained by his uncle, Ruben Paniagua, Martínez began boxing as an amateur and compiled a record of 39–2 (39 wins to 2 losses), the losses came by way of majority decision and knockout."

"Martínez at the age of 22, had his first professional fight on 27 December 1997 in Ituzaingo, Buenos Aires, Argentina"

I know they weren't close to 30 but they started late or after 20 and they're not HW either...
                Hopkins was boxing before he went to jail

Comment

Yea. People dumb af.

"Irish" Andre Ward with his dad.

But to some people even if you are half Irish you're still a n!gg@ to them.
                  Thanks...that confirms it then...Andre looks like a spitting image of his dad...

Comment

Originally posted by LarryXXX View Post
                    Hopkins was boxing before he went to jail
                    yeah I just learned...like effpandas said i guess it's more marketable to talk about his boxing after he got out the pen...

Comment

Tony Thompson started boxing at 27(if I remember correctly) and had his first pro fight at 28.
                      Starting after 30 and being successful seems to be impossible.

Comment

Working...
                      X