Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to sell an opponent for Floyd Mayweather

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post and its a big issue. He will never do over 1 million PPVs ever again unless he fights Broner or Pacquiao. I think Thurman could be a good opponent as well but he still needs to be built up and unfortunately Guerrero turned down a fight with him.

Comment

Originally posted by PBP View Post
      Danny Garcia will sell because of his Dad and the exposure he got tonight.
      Guerrero's dad talked **** just as much as Garcia's dad does. The idea that someone will be convinced to order a fight because some old, washed up buffoon's are yelling out unintelligible stuff at each other is hard to believe.

Comment

He is probably going to be coming off his biggest ever fight number wise or at least second best. I don't think that is a recipe for making Floyd come off his demands. I am also sure Showtime and GBP will be fine humoring him whatever he wants to do in May.

Showtime doesn't overly care about making money on Floyd sure they don't want to take a total bath on that contract but as long as they get most of it back it is worth it to them because of the exposure it gives them and their boxing brand.

Comment

well most of the people that bought this fight almost certainly won't buy his next. they don't want to get tricked again.

Comment

I was thinking the same thing Cup, nobody else has the huge following and backing that Canelo had before this fight to create this big of an event. Floyd has beat all the other fighters who had big followings and were marketable: De La Hoya, Cotto, Hatton, and Canelo. Khan will prove to be a decent event if he beats Alexander, but that's a laughable fight in terms of being competitive. Casual fans might even stumble upon Khan going "Bambi legs" on youtube and not deem it not worth watching. Thurman, Garcia, and Broner (if he beats Maidana) could all generate some interest but they all need more exposure and victories. They don't bring anything that will get casual fans to rally behind them and think they have a shot against Mayweather, which is the clear recipe for his successful PPV's.
            Last edited by _original_; 09-15-2013, 02:29 AM.

Comment

I think one of Pacquiao or Bradley will find a way to come to the table with Floyd. They seem to be the best legitimate sells (provided they both win their next fights) at welterweight.

The Floyd that showed up tonight would knock out Amir Khan.

Comment

Originally posted by The Gambler1981 View Post
                He is probably going to be coming off his biggest ever fight number wise or at least second best. I don't think that is a recipe for making Floyd come off his demands. I am also sure Showtime and GBP will be fine humoring him whatever he wants to do in May.

Have you seen this article that I posted yesterday about the economics behind Canelo Vs Floyd:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=610554

Goldenboy spends millions trying to promote this fight and expend it's coverage, just to make 10 million after paying Floyd, Canelo, the cable companies, theaters etc,.

If they spend this much money in the next fight and it flops, they're toast. It's like a blockbuster movie with a 150 million dollar budget that only makes back 100 million in returns. If this PPV does well, it's not because of Floyd, it's because of

A) The promotional and financial backing of Goldenboy and all their connections

B) The Match-up itself (Canelo Alvarez)

Floyd's ego may think that it's all him and he deserves even more money, but he would of course be wrong.

Comment

Khan at Wembley Stadium....knock him out in front 90,000 screaming Brits and then retire...

it wouldn't be competitive at all...but i think its the biggest $$ to be made...because the British would LOVE for Floyd to come fight there...Khan is still a name that has plenty of skill...Wembley would be packed to the rafters...the PPV buys (at least in the UK and likely the US too) would be big enough...not DLH, or Canelo big, but still big...

im a Floyd fan, but have always felt he needed more legit challenges on his resume...but honestly, after tonight? im beyond that...take one final big pay day and hang em up...

schedule the fight for April 19 (the 239th anniversary of the Battle of Lexington and Concord) and let it be a show!

Edit: spelling (doh!)
                  Last edited by Soda_Popinski; 09-15-2013, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cupo303 View Post
                    Have you seen this article that I posted yesterday about the economics behind Canelo Vs Floyd:

http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=610554

Goldenboy spends millions trying to promote this fight and expend it's coverage, just to make 10 million after paying Floyd, Canelo, the cable companies, theaters etc,.

If they spend this much money in the next fight and it flops, they're toast. It's like a blockbuster movie with a 150 million dollar budget that only makes back 100 million in returns. If this PPV does well, it's not because of Floyd, it's because of

A) The promotional and financial backing of Goldenboy and all their connections

B) The Match-up itself (Canelo Alvarez)

Floyd's ego may think that it's all him and he deserves even more money, but he would be wrong.
                    Floyd is worth what the market bears and he will be coming off a big hit~ they are not losing tonight and they really didn't lose with Guerrero.

GBP has larger backing than you think and Showtime does pay a lot.

When there is a big hit movie you know who gets most of the credit the leading star, it works the same with boxing. Coming off a hit Floyd isn't taking a pay cut.

Also Floyd isn't wrong because he is going to get it and then he will get it the fight after~

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
                      I was thinking the same thing Cup, nobody else has the huge following and backing that Canelo had before this fight to create this big of an event. Floyd has beat all the other fighters who had big followings and were marketable: De La Hoya, Cotto, Hatton, and Canelo. Khan will prove to be a decent event if he beats Alexander, but that's a laughable fight in terms of being competitive. Casual fans might even stumble upon Khan going "Bambi legs" on youtube and not deem it not worth watching. Thurman, Garcia, and Broner (if he beats Maidana) could all generate some interest but they all need more exposure and victories. They don't bring anything that will get casual fans to rally behind them and think they have a shot against Mayweather, which is the clear recipe for his successful PPV's.

One could say that if they dared selling us Ortiz and Guerrero, they could do it again. I just don't see people biting again after tonight. Canelo was up there in term of hype, with Pacquiao. All the others prospects are damaged goods (meaning: Fighters who had some shaky wins and others who had shaky wins and losses like Khan).

Comment

Working...
                      X