Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Floyd Still The Straw That Stirs The Drink… And Emotions

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Floyd Still The Straw That Stirs The Drink… And Emotions

By Jake Donovan - A famous quote surrounding Reggie Jackson’s arrival in New York in the 1977 season – his first with the Yankees - was that he was “the straw that stirs the drink.”

The home run slugger spent much of the season deflecting criticism and offering the insistence that he was misquoted, as different versions of the conversation that took place also claimed him to have trashed Yankees captain, the late Thurman Munson.

Some 35 years later, Floyd Mayweather finds himself as the straw the stirs the boxing drink, and quite often emotions along with it. He also finds himself forced to defend nearly every comment he makes.

The latest came Monday afternoon, courtesy of his verified Twitter account (@FloydMayweather), when the unbeaten pound-for-pound star offered commentary on the current state of the NBA.

Less than three months out from his May 5 showdown with fellow boxing superstar Miguel Cotto, the boxing world once again finds itself talking about Mayweather, if only for all of the wrong reasons.

Often when a celebrity speaks on a subject out of his element, the comments will come across as misinformed. Mayweather’s remarks surrounding New York Knicks overnight star point guard Jeremy Lin, perfectly fit that mode.

“Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian,” Mayweather stated on his Twitter account. “Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise.” [Click Here To Read More]

Nah Floyd is too dumb to be a straw. A coaster maybe...

Comment

i only have one word for the clown...he's a coward!

Comment

Originally posted by breakyourface View Post
        Nah Floyd is too dumb to be a straw. A coaster maybe...
        absolutely right.the clown contradicts himself all the time.zero credibility from this guy.he's dumb too.he call himself his boss, but always look to Golden Girl to promote his fight.what the hell does mayweather promotions do? yeah that's right.. nothing, because it's a dummy company.arum even taught this monkey how to use checks when he was at top rank, because the idiot would drive all over town to pay his bills in cash, personally.i could not blame arum for hating this idiot so bad.

Comment

First of all I disagree with his comments about Lin. I am a die hard Knick fan so I could be biased about it. Floyd still has a right to make whatever comments he want as long as it doesn't stir up violence or hatred.That is part of living in a free country.

I have a friend that's Puerto Rican and he supports and is a big fan of any person or team representing Puerto Rico. He takes offense of any negative comments or criticism towards them. I fully understand...that's his people. Its the same with Mexicans. They are die hard followers of their own people.Its the same with every race of people. It does seem somewhat weird though when a black man supports his own, he catches hell. He's a racist. Black people have the worst rep than any race on this earth. We hear the criticism coming from every angle and receive the hate from every people, including our own. Once again, I disagree with Floyd's comment, but I have no problem with what he said. The man loves his own kind. That doesn't mean he hates anyone else. He was making a comparison without knowing all his facts. That's not being racial, that's being uninformed of all the facts. Its sad to live in a world where you have to defend every strong opinion you may have. But...oh well. That's just the world we live in.

Comment

All lies

Comment

Originally posted by FistO View Post
              absolutely right.the clown contradicts himself all the time.zero credibility from this guy.he's dumb too.he call himself his boss, but always look to Golden Girl to promote his fight.what the hell does mayweather promotions do? yeah that's right.. nothing, because it's a dummy company.arum even taught this monkey how to use checks when he was at top rank, because the idiot would drive all over town to pay his bills in cash, personally.i could not blame arum for hating this idiot so bad.
              monkey? hahaha I knew this would finally come up.
              people just need a excuse to say what they have always thought.

Dumb?
              Yeah, so being economically Independent and getting a cut out of everything, down to every single hot dog being sold in his fights is dumb then I agree.

To making 40 mil a fight yet sell less than Pac......
              Yes he must be a stupid monkey!?!?!?!?!

Buying himself out of Arums contract was a really stupid investment.
              He only made 10 times more than he used to.
              Fuc'king disloyal stupid monkey ni66er.

Making Golden boy promote his fights for him for a small piece of the pie
              and being his own boss.= stupid monkey.

Pac gets fuc'king owned by Arum, was on the verge of going broke= genius
              Pac making sooo much less even with his so many endorsement deals, PPV numbers and he still makes far less than Floyd= owning that Monkey Floyd.

OOh I guess the monkey got lucky.

What have you done in your life?
              Last edited by Homie D Clown; 02-14-2012, 09:46 AM.

Comment

Point taken. Lin is overrated and getting a lot of attention due to his nationality. He is no Steve Nash, Chris Paul, or Chauncey Billups because he doesnt make his teammates better. He is an average point guard by comparison. If I was building a team I wouldn't pick him to play on it.

As far as this article goes it sucks worse that Tim Tebow. I can't imagine a boxing website trying so hard to deride one of its stars as bad as Boxingscene. Philboxing offers a more balanced view than this site. It's like the Rush Limbaugh of boxing sites. The only thing that is missing is Scoop M and his idiotic stories. What is going to happen when Floyd retires? Adrien Broner? This is one of the reason boxing is a second or third tier sport because it appears to be similar to wrestling w/ the help of poor journalism or should I say yellow journalism.

Comment

Originally posted by norrin View Post
                  Point taken. Lin is overrated and getting a lot of attention due to his nationality. He is no Steve Nash, Chris Paul, or Chauncey Billups because he doesnt make his teammates better. He is an average point guard by comparison. If I was building a team I wouldn't pick him to play on it.

As far as this article goes it sucks worse that Tim Tebow. I can't imagine a boxing website trying so hard to deride one of its stars as bad as Boxingscene. Philboxing offers a more balanced view than this site. It's like the Rush Limbaugh of boxing sites. The only thing that is missing is Scoop M and his idiotic stories. What is going to happen when Floyd retires? Adrien Broner? This is one of the reason boxing is a second or third tier sport because it appears to be similar to wrestling w/ the help of poor journalism or should I say yellow journalism.
                  Look what Lin is doing though. They're able to win how many straight after losing how many when who's not on the court?
                  Also I find it amazing the amount of people who graduated from Harvard and got to start in the NBA.
                  Yea I wouldn't pick him for my team either if I could have my pick of the lot, but he's putting in work in a time of need.
                  Also he's being overrated because of the people who he's being compared to.
                  Jesus

Comment

Also I don't understand how being a dick can help generate views. I mean i'm not buying any of his crap anymore after Ortiz, but if I was, I don't see how being a dick can help generate views.
                    Maybe among other ignorant dicks..

Comment

Working...
                    X