Lou Dibella Discusses Martinez and Berto's Futures

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lou Dibella Discusses Martinez and Berto's Futures

DIBELLA DISCUSSES MARTINEZ, BERTO IN RELATION TO MAYWEATHER, PACQUIAO

******.com caught up to promoter Lou DiBella regarding the futures of RING No. 3-ranked IBF welterweight beltholder Andre Berto and RING middleweight champ Sergio Martinez.

Could either of them eventually meet eight-division beltwinner Manny Pacquiao or Floyd Mayweather Jr.?

Berto (28-1, 22 KOs) is coming off last month's fifth round stoppage that dethroned Jan Zaveck (31-2, 18 KOs), who was knocked out for the first time in his career.

The victory helped Berto to rebound from a unanimous decision loss of his WBC title to Victor Ortiz (29-3-2, 22 KOs) in April, even as Ortiz was dethroned by fourth-round knockout against Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) last month.

Berto is in line to make a mandatory defense of his IBF belt opposite hard-punching former junior welterweight beltholder Randall Bailey (42-7, 36 KOs).

"Right now, Berto has a mandatory against Bailey and that's the situation that we're in. Bailey could really be a crowd-pleasing fight, because Bailey is one of the hardest punchers in all of boxing," said DiBella.

"So Berto has the mandatory with Bailey, and that's something that we have to keep working on and we'll be dealing with that for the next week or so. So I will know a lot more about Berto's plans within the next 10 days or so."

Beyond Bailey, DiBella would like Berto to be considered for shots at either Mayweather or Pacquiao (53-3-2, 38 KOs), the latter of whom holds the WBO welterweight title.

"I would love to see Berto get an opportunity against Floyd if Floyd's fight with Pacquiao doesn't materialize," said DiBella.

DiBella also addressed the prospects of Berto in a return bout against Ortiz, or, whether a match up with former WBC/IBF junior welterweight titleholder Devon Alexander (22-1, 13 KOs) would be entertained.

"We're not going to fight Devon Alexander. Period. Period. We're not fighting Devon Alexander. Period. Why should we? Who cares?" said DiBella.

"I also don't think that Ortiz has really indicated any willingness to do a rematch. Ortiz, no mater what he thinks, doesn't have as many alternatives as he thinks that he does. So the biggest fight for Ortiz would be a rematch with Berto. So that's a fight that I think I would like to eventually see happen."

In the meantime, Pacquiao has a third bout against WBO and WBA lightweight beltholder Juan Manuel Marquez (53-5-1, 39 KOs) on Nov. 12.

Martinez (48-2-2, 27 knockouts), meanwhile, is coming off an 11th-round stoppage of England's Darren Barker (23-1, 14 KOs) on Oct. 1 at Boardwalk Hall in Atlantic City.

Martinez has indicated that he would drop to 150 pounds in order to face Pacquiao or Mayweather.

"It's going to be a long shot for Mayweather to fight Martinez," said DiBella. "Although I think that Mayweather is so good and such a warrior that there's a chance that if Mayweather doesn't get Manny Pacquiao, that he would consider Martinez."

DiBella also promotes Irish fighter Andy Lee (27-1, 19 KOs), who decisioned Brian Vera (19-6, 12 KOs) on the Martinez-Barker undercard to avenge a seventh-round knockout loss from March of 2008.

Lee might be in line to face Martinez in a clash of southpaws, as may right-hander Matthew Macklin (28-3, 19 KOs), whom DiBella also promotes.

Macklin lost a disputed split-decision to WBA titleholder Felix Sturm (36-2-1, 15 KOs) in June.

"I have the two best Irish fighters in the world with Lee and Macklin. I think that Macklin beat Sturm and that he should already be a champion," said DiBella.

"Plus, Macklin's had two great wins on HBO. St. Patrick's Day is in March, which is right around the time that I would like Sergio have another fight."

The WBC has ordered titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (43-0-1, 30 KOs) to defend his belt against Martinez by the first quarter of 2012 or relinquish it, according to WBC Secretary General Mauricio Sulaiman.

Chavez has a scheduled match-up opposite Peter Manfredo Jr. (37-6, 20 KOs) on Nov. 19. But if victorious, DiBella does not believe Chavez will choose to face Martinez.

"If Chavez Jr.'s the coward that I think that he is, then he will gives up the title rather than face Martinez," said DiBella. "And then, there's a good chance that we'll fight Macklin or possibly Lee on St. Patrick's Day."

DiBella acknowledged that an offer was made to Martinez for a bout with WBO counter part Dmitry Pirog (19-0, 15 KOs) of Russia.

The move was made by promoters Kirill Pchelnikov, partner German Titov and Artie Pellulo of Banner Promotions.

"They made an offer for us to go to Russia. To go to his hometown. But that's the same kind of money that our guy can make over here. I mean, it's an offer, but who give's a s--t. I'm not saying that they're lying about the offer, but the offer is absurd," said DiBella.

"Martinez can make the same kind of money here. If the Russian government really wants Martinez to go onto hostile ground, and probably stand a great chance of getting robbed by going over there, then put up $5 million or $6 million. Plus, Sergio's never doing a fight that's not televised in the U.S. Who the f--k is going to go to Russia to televise that fight?"

Pirog is coming off last month's 10th-round knockout of Gennady Martirosyan (22-3, 11 KOs), but his biggest win came via fifth-round knockout over previously unbeaten Danny Jacobs (22-1, 19 KOs) in July of last year.

DiBella downplayed Pirog's win over Jacobs.

"Who give's a s--t about Pirog? Who has he beaten? Why are we talking about him? We're talking about him because he made Sergio an offer," said DiBella. "But Pirog's only quality win is over Danny Jacobs. As much as I love Danny Williams, Danny was a kid who was totally unproven and untested."

Martinez was named the 2010 Fighter of the Year by the Boxing Writers Association of America, recognition for the fact that he dethroned Kelly Pavlik (36-2, 32 KOs) in April as WBO and WBC middleweight champ by unanimous decision, and then scored November's second-round stoppage of southpaw three-time, two-division titleholder Paul Williams (39-2, 27 KOs).

The win over Williams avenged a majority decision loss during which both fighters were dropped in the first round in December of last year.

Martinez was declared the WBC's emeritus champion for going ahead with a defense against WBO junior middleweight beltholder Sergei Dzinziruk (37-1, 23 KOs), whom he dropped once each in the fourth and fifth rounds and three times in the eighth and last for the knockout in March.

With Martinez essentially being stripped, Germany's Sebastian Zbik (30-1, 10 KOs) was elevated to the status of champion and ordered to face Chavez Jr., who dethroned him by majority decision in June.

Chavez, like Pacquiao, is promoted by Top Rank Inc., whose CEO is Bob Arum.

"I would like to get Sergio the biggest fight possible. Obviously, there are some long shots, like Mayweather and Pacquiao. It would be a long shot for Arum to allow Martinez to fight one of his guys. But as far as Pirog, let him fight a real middleweight first. Let him make the fight worth something. That would make it a marketable fight in America," said DiBella.

"Right now, Martinez-Pirog is a totally non-marketable fight in America. It's less marketable than Barker was, because Barker brought over all of the British press and a lot of Brits. Pirog is even lesser known than Dzinziruk. Let Pirog fight Paul Williams. Who has he beaten?"

http://******.craveonline.com/blog/1...martinez-berto

"It's going to be a long shot for Mayweather to fight Martinez," said DiBella. "Although I think that Mayweather is so good and such a warrior that there's a chance that if Mayweather doesn't get Manny Pacquiao, that he would consider Martinez."

they're negotiating for sure....

Comment

Originally posted by skillswin View Post

they're negotiating for sure....
      Hear no evil, see no evil

Comment

"Who give's a s--t about Pirog? Who has he beaten? Why are we talking about him? We're talking about him because he made Sergio an offer," said DiBella. "But Pirog's only quality win is over Danny Jacobs. As much as I love Danny Williams, Danny was a kid who was totally unproven and untested."

Who the f@ck did darren barker beat? That's what I want to know. Quit with the hypocrisy Lou. Just say it "we don't want to fight pirog" no excuses required just be honest.

Comment

While I agree that there's no reason for Berto to fight Alexander, I'd still like to see it. I don't blame DiBella for not wanting the fight though.

Comment

"And then, there's a good chance that we'll fight Macklin or possibly Lee on St. Patrick's Day." it's going to happen,
            i'd rather see rubio/martinez if not pirog. lol, it'd be great to have pirog on the undercard, get his name more out there than just ignoring him.

Comment

Looks like after the Bailey fight, Berto will look for an Ortiz rematch. Martinez-Macklin on St. Patty's day (with Lee being the backup) is a go.

Comment

In a perfect world...I would LOVE to see Mayweather fight Martinez on St. Pat's day in March. Here's the card...

Mayweather-Martinez
                Lee-Macklin
                Pirog-Rubio
                Alexander-Ortiz

That would be a great night of boxing. It will NEVER happen though, haha.

I am a bit let down that Berto is fighting Bailey next. I would have much rather wanted to see him fight Alexander, Aydin, Dan, or an Ortiz rematch (although victor has shown ZERO interest in that).

Comment

Wish pirog was signed with goldenboy or toprank so he could get big
                  fights.His promoters sucks.And lou also sucks even more with his excuses.

Comment

Martinez vs Macklin is fine, although I'm hoping Dibella is able to bring over Felix Sturm. One problem is that I remember Jose Sulaiman said that Martinez would have to fight Rubio for the vacant WBC belt and it wouldn't just be handed over to him. So if he wants the belt, he won't be able to fight Macklin.

Comment

Working...
                    X