No announcement yet.

The Official Miguel Cotto-Sergio Martinez Master Thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hyacinth View Post
    Now i'll have to read about cotto being the lineal middleweight champ from the most delusional fan base on the scene. smh. kinda' like when Pacquiao was the jr middleweight champ. remember that? ugh. what a farce.

Comment

• I was expecting a closer fight .... Over 21k ppl.. On the garden was a typical pre- puertorican parade weekend... Let's see if he does over 600k in ppv buys which I don't think he will...
      I think he will get close to 450-500k

Comment

• Originally posted by Weebler I View Post
        Look at 56:40

Tells you all you need to know.

Comment

• The Return of the King. The Cotto of way back when resurfaced last night and put on a mature, seasoned performance. And long may it continue. Now the dark spectre of Antonio Margarito wont loom so large over Miguel's career.

I don't know how any boxing fan can be negative about what happened last night. Miguel boxed superbly and Martinez, during and after the fight, conducted himself like a true champion. It was a great night for boxing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Miguel Tyson II View Post
            I basically predicted Cotto would win about 2 days ago, I was at the fight and tried to bet $75 on Cotto winning by KO but the bookie didn't take the bet, does anyone know what I would have won?

Anyway, Martinez was not in peak physical form, but I still think Cotto's onslaught in the first round is what took the life out of his legs in early rounds, not his knees, it was the punishment he had the **** knocked out of Sergio and he BARELY made it out of round 1... I was convinced the ref would stop it in round 1 after 2nd KO, and honestly many would not have blamed him if he did stop it.

REMEMBER, middle rounds, Sergio had a pep in his step and his legs looked strong, COTTO's utter destruction is what turned Sergio's legs into jello in Round 1 and later. NOT HIS KNEES, those injuries were secondary to Cotto annihilating him.
            Cotto's timing was impeccable, a lot of that probably is attributed to Roach, he fought a perfect fight.

On this night, I don't even know if a prime Sergio would have beat him, that is how good Cotto was tonight.

Either way, Cotto looked fearless in 24/7 and I believe he is, Martinez is another story.

On a side note, I am white and I would say 1% white crowd, maybe around 10% Argentina and 90% PR.

Freaking insane, I was in nosebleeds in corner, PR were chanting with flags, I was in the bathroom 20 min before Cotto fight, and this dude was saying, "This bathroom is all Cotto" over and over, he was just TRYING to find Sergio fans, God knows what he would have done to them. I saw PR fans looking to push Sergio fans buttons, like bait them to say something back, I saw no resistance from Sergio fans at all, and I can't really blame as they were completely outnumbered in the Garden. These PR fans in the bathroom 20 min before fight were smoking out in the open (not even in stall) then there were 3 or 4 in a stall but not smoking, swear they must have been snorting coke and the guard was right outside bathroom and never came in

Insane night, I was at the Cotto Trout match it was like night and day that match sucked.

To sum up, Sergio's health- maybe 25% factor, Cotto's perfect timing and huge shots that stunned Sergio: 75% factor. You got to give Cotto credit.
            Nice post. And Welcome to New York City..

PRPP

Comment

• I'll certainly give Cotto his props. Martinez looked like a shot fighter sure, but Cotto's timing, speed, power and just everything was so crisp and precise that I just have a hard time believing that a guy can appear to be on the slide for a few years and then look like he is back in his prime again. He looked more complete that I have ever seen him before.

Based on that performance, I'd pick him to beat Canelo and rough GGG up. He was on a different level last night.

Comment

• I just want to say congrats to Cotto, I know this doesn't make my pick any better but initially I had chosen Cotto for this fight because Cotto is a fighter with great fundamentals.

I'm on here for saying Cotto could catch Martinez with a left hook while he kept circling about.. but as time went on I just felt Martinez regardless of injuries would be too much for Cotto.. but dude couldnt even land flush on Cotto!! Much respect to as his fans call him "King" Cotto. He made history.

Comment

• I dont think the knee was a big issue because he was moving just fine in the 6th round(his best round IMO). That punch that drop Martinez for the first time was the BIG issue for him in the fight and it look to me like it broke his ear drum and had him unstedy on his feet for some time. I dont think Martinez expected the smaller Cotto to hit that hard and be as quick/fast.

Also Cotto set traps all night and had Martinez moving left in the direction of the lef hook all night.

Comment

• The pic of the Control Panel at the top of the page should to be changed to a pic of Cotto. He earned it. He fights everybody and has been through hell to get to where he is now.

He's made Boxing history and is a sure Hall of Famer.
                    Please, of coarse.

Comment

• Wasn't it weird that Martinez' legs appeared to loosen up as the fight went along?

Anyone else think he went a bit cold before the fight and then they warmed up again while he was fighting, perhaps?

I remember thinking to myself during the first round "Should this man have been allowed in the ring in this condition?"

Anyway, beautiful boxing by Cotto, I'm glad people can see his skills on display like that, I still think he's a bit underrated. But - he wasn't really against Martinez was he? He was against a crippled old man as far as I could see.

Comment

Working...
                      X