Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does Olympic success/ participation have any bearing on success as a pro?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tyson had gold at the junior Olympics

Comment

It helps but not that much. They are almost two different sports.

Comment

Not really, audley Harrison is 1 that comes to mind. What it does do tho is help making u crazy money early on in ur career. Harrison was given a deal with BBC worth more than a £1,000,000 when he turned pro, same with khan (with ITV I believe). Also James degale made £300,000 (470,000 dollars) 4 a British title fight when some world title fighters don't make that much. Also u can get sponsors.

Comment

Im a fan of the amateur game but it more or less takes the gritty tough guy part of boxing out,it suits a certain style also an interesting fact is 85% of bouts where whoever is leading the first round wins the fight

Comment

The only thing IMO the olympics will do is turn you into a big earner much quicker ala ODLH, Leonard etc. Even though you still need to prove your worth after a few fights.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Golden_Goy View Post
              To try and stimulate some sort of debate i was wondering if gold medalists go on to always be the best fighters, or have bronze and silver medalists been more successful in making the transition as a pro?

I mean Ali and Tyson have gold medals, but then again so does Audley Harrison.

Floyd only got bronze I believe, Froch didnt get through the trials but won a medal at the world championships.

Is it a good foundation to become a pro? Or does that only apply to certain fighters?
              Tyson didn't make the olympic team. But having a gold medal means you fight stiffs, than you fight the weakest Champ of the 4 to win a Alphabet soup title. Than you fight a bunch of has been name fighters to make it look like you beat a great champion so it does help to an extent. Tyson knock out Hemry Tillman the Gold medalist as a pro for your information

Comment

Working...
              X