Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naazim richardson: Amir has to pick someone who is gonna get him comfortable

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Naazim richardson: Amir has to pick someone who is gonna get him comfortable

NAAZIM RICHARDSON: "AMIR HAS TO PICK SOMEONE WHO IS GONNA GET HIM COMFORTABLE IN HIS OWN SKIN"

"Well, at the end of the day, Amir has to pick someone who is gonna get him comfortable in his own skin. I told you before Perc, I don't think he should compete at 140 pounds anymore. They have to get him in a comfortable place…not only do I think it's about defense with Amir, but a lot of it has to do with who he is fighting. When you fighting a guy that walks around at Bute's size and they can sweat down to 140, you get hit with a clean shot from a guy like that and that has nothing to do with defense a lot of the times," stated world-class trainer Naazim Richardson, who gave us a brief update on whether or not he might be working with former jr. welterweight champion Amir Khan in the near future. Check out what else he had to say!

PC: Brother Naaz, I know you don't have much time and you may not be able to give me anything here, but you are the hot talk right now on the internet with Amir Khan announcing a new trainer soon. Your name, with a few others, has come up.

NR: Yeah, I have got that a few times from people.

PC: (Laughing) I take it you either can't share or don't know right now.

NR: Well, at the end of the day, Amir has to pick someone who is gonna get him comfortable in his own skin. I told you before Perc, I don't think he should compete at 140 pounds anymore. They have to get him in a comfortable place.

PC: A lot of people seem to be under the impression that he has to get with a defensive-minded coach. You're not really considered a defensive minded coach more than you are a great strategist, but your strategy is to swim without getting wet, which essentially means to me get in and get out.

NR: Yeah, well, you know, not only do I think it's about defense with Amir, but a lot of it has to do with who he is fighting. When you fighting a guy that walks around at Bute's size and they can sweat down to 140, you get hit with a clean shot from a guy like that and that has nothing to do with defense a lot of the times. Danny Garcia wins fights at the scale and as long as he can make 140 pounds, he's gonna be a problem for a lot of guys. That's the thing people have to understand. But Amir himself needs to be at a comfortable weight and when you look at his shoulders and things of that nature, he doesn't have the easiest cut to 140. Danny has it down to a science.

PC: Before I let you go, first I wish you the best of luck in landing the assignment with Amir Khan because I think you guys can do some great things together, but I wanted to ask you about Steve Cunningham's move to heavyweight. How is that going?

NR: He's doing his thing in the gym, but you know Perc, that's just courses now. He has to take the test and we will see if he can pass it. Passing that test is all that matters.

PC: I gotcha. Thanks for the call back my man.

NR: No problem. If I get my young guys out and I get a few minutes, I will call you back so we could get some more in.

http://www.fighthype.com/news/article13171.html

Sorry for the caps in the heading, I lifted it straight from the article!

you don't win fights at the scales, and what is he talking about with Danny Garcia? Danny Garcia is a big sized 140, but not some monster like he's claiming.

Comment

Comment

Am I the only one who finds what Naazim is saying contradictory?

He's talking about naturally big fighters who boil down in weight being a problem for Khan - but implies that Khan himself should move up. The contradiction lies in the fact that moving up would mean he'd be fighting even bigger fighters boiling down from bigger natural weights.

I often get the feeling Naaz talks a good game but it's more style than actual substance. A brilliant orator for sure but a little too in love with his own voice and thoughts, IMHO.

Comment

I still think Shields is the better trainer for Khan..I also think moving up to 140lb is a bad move,unless they plan on going an easy route..Liking fighting Paulie M again..But then what's next??Ortiz Brook and Alexander are all very dangerous fights imo..

At this stage of Khans career no fight will be easy..He needs to work on defense without moving his feet..Also how to think in that ring and not just fire off combinations...Khan can still be good,but he needs a Shields or a unknown trainer who does not take any shhit...

Comment

Working...
          X