Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Lazslo Papp the greatest fighter ever?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
    So he did nothing in the pros? He beat Tiger Jones when Jones was in his mid 30s and well over the hill, in what I think was one of his final fights. He beat Jose Torres when Torres was a novice amateur in a 3 round bout.

Papp isn't even in the top 100 greatest ever fighters. If you're argument for Papp being one of the greatest ever fighters if that he beat an old over the hill Ralph Jones and a teenage Jose Torres over 3 rounds that's just crazy.
    My argument is career accomplishments, not just the pros. If you discount everything he did as an amateur now that's crazy! As a pro he was undefeated and he turned pro at age of 31. He wasn't allowed to go to the U.S because Hungary was communist.

I am a huge Teofilio Stevenson fan but he won gold three times at heavyweight and he was bigger than everyone, same story with Felix Savon.

Papp was small for middleweight, yet he won the gold there and then he went to light heavy to win the gold two more times at the Olympics, which is crazy!

Ray Robinson failed at light heavy, now let's get some outrage
    Last edited by pesticid; 04-03-2016, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pesticid View Post
      My argument is career accomplishments, not just the pros. If you discount everything he did as an amateur now that's crazy! As a pro he was undefeated and he turned pro at age of 31. He wasn't allowed to go to the U.S because Hungary was communist.

I am a huge Teofilio Stevenson fan but he won gold three times at heavyweight and he was bigger than everyone, same story with Felix Savon.

Papp was small for middleweight, yet he won the gold there and then he went to light heavy to win the gold two more times at the Olympics, which is crazy!

Ray Robinson failed at light heavy because of heat exhaustion in a fight he was winning..and AS A PRO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by larrys.o.g View Post
        Ray Robinson failed at light heavy because of heat exhaustion in a fight he was winning..and AS A PRO!!!!
        excuses, excuses, excuses!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryn0 View Post
          Is Felix Savon the greatest Heavyweight ever? No because I'm not stupid.

You have to actually do something notable as a pro probably at least once like.... I don't know the hundreds of other fighters that deserve to be in the conversation ahead of Papp.
          Unlike Savon he had the opportunity to fightht 29 times as a pro in Europe and go undefeated, or are you considered a pro fighter only if you fight in the U.S.?

Comment

Robinson failed once at Light heavy vs the champion in a time when there was 1 champion, Papp didn't succeed once in any division as a pro.

Amateurs and pros are two different sports, who cares what height he was as a Middleweight they are weight divisions not height divisions. No one says Floyd Patterson is anywhere near the greatest Heavyweight of all time, despite being 'quite small for a heavyweight' but 'he won a gold medal'.

No one is stupid enough to say Rigo is the best of all time, despite him being one of the greatest amateurs of all time and achieving far and away much more than Papp ever did in his pro career.

To call someone who fought predominantly 3 rounders in the amateurs who hasn't a single notable win as a pro the greatest fighter ever is ridiculous.

Comment

Yes he is. When ever I get together with friends who love boxing the name Lazslo Papp always comes up and we can't stop talking about what a great fighter he was. We all agree he was without a doubt the greatest boxer of all time. Mayweather, Robinson, Hagler, Dempsey, Joe Louis and so many others have been so great over the past century. None of the other great fighters of the past even come close to the incredible greatness of Lazslo Papp.

Comment

Unlike Savon he had the opportunity to fightht 29 times as a pro in Europe and go undefeated, or are you considered a pro fighter only if you fight in the U.S.?
                I live in Europe and I'm not American so.... I don't quite understand what your getting at.

He fought 29 times against average to poor opposition and wasn't allowed to fight for a world title. His pro career was at best a footnote in the history of the division. The point is his career as a pro fighter wasn't noteworthy, you cannot be the greatest fighter of all time if the extent of your accomplishments is incredible success in 3 round fights.

Comment

Amateur record - 301 wins - 12 losses and 6 draws - 55 first round knockouts

3 time Olympic Gold Medalist - once at middleweight and twice at light heavy and he was only 5' 5"

As a pro he went to 27 wins and two draws. People talk about Ray Robinson but this guy was a monster.
                  Hold up, Papp didn't win anything at Light Heavyweight.

He won Olympic gold at Middleweight and then moved down in weight. He won the next two golds at Light middleweight!

Comment

Comment

In a word; No.

Not even in the top 500.

Comment

Working...
                      X