Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sugar Ray Robinson vs the Modern Era. Not as easy as we think.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sugar Ray Robinson vs the Modern Era. Not as easy as we think.

Sugar Ray Robinson is the greatest Welterweight of all times and it's not even close. That being said, despite the fact that I think he beats EVERYONE in the modern era (90's-Current) I feel like a lot of these modern elites will give him a good fight.

His defense wasn't great, at times he does get lured into slugfests and he does get hit on a regular basis by lesser fighters. His hands are often carried low and jabs do get through more against him than against some of the other ATG Welters.

Of course he negates all of that by having a great offense,very good boxing skills, tremendous will power and he got one of the ATG Chins in the history of the sport. It is almost impossible to knock him out at 147, hence his lack of emphasize on defense for stretches simply because his chin can take whatever is dished out.

He BEATS everyone from 1990-current at 147-154. I am curious as to who will give him a 'tough fight'. At 147-154

Out of

Oscar De La Hoya
    Floyd Mayweather Jr
    Manny Pacquaio
    Felix Trinidad
    Pernell Whitaker
    Vernon Forrest
    Fernando Vargas
    Paul Williams
    Ike Quartey
    Antonio Margarito

At MW.. it gets even more interesting (it's obviously past his best weight class) I will pick Martinez,Benn,Eubank,Toney,Nunn to all give him good fights.

Jones-Hopkins might even be favorites.
    Last edited by KidGalvain; 04-16-2013, 06:33 PM.

I know Margarito, Williams,Vargas and Forrest might not be that high on people's welter lists but I feel like the four of them does have the abilities to give Robinson a good test.

Despite the bad rep, Margarito had a very good chin and put out amazing pressure. Williams throw 100+ punches per round and is one of the few welters that's actually bigger than Robinson (Williams at 6'2-6'3, Robinson at 5'11 1/2) Forrest had good boxing skills and Vargas is the perfect guy to drag Robinson into a pier 6 brawl. (The end result will be Vargas hitting canvas multiple times but it's not quite as easy as some will think)

Comment

I would suggest posting this in the history section. Some good points but I don't know enough about SRR to reply.

Comment

With day before weight ins and 3 fights a year and only 12 rounds of boxing, SRR would have a field day now. Without even mentioning nowadays training technologies, oh yeah it would have been all bad for the current guys.
        WamBamSam23 WamBamSam23 likes this.

Comment

Tommy Hearns is gonna cause problems for everyone at either 147-154, no matter how good.

Comment

His body punching, and inside combinations were downright sickening. No one fights like him anymore. His gas tank was beyond elite.

He beats any WW in the history of boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by gingerbreadman View Post
              Tommy Hearns is gonna cause problems for everyone at either 147-154, no matter how good.
              SRR would dismantle Hearns. SRR was Leonard on meth and steroids.
              WamBamSam23 WamBamSam23 likes this.

Comment

Originally posted by inITtoWINit View Post
                His body punching, and inside combinations were downright sickening. No one fights like him anymore. His gas tank was beyond elite.

He beats any WW in the history of boxing.
                Yeah...

thats a true statement.

Of the people mentioned I would give Whitaker a good chance to make things difficult because he had defensive skills that could neutralize. But Whitaker could not really hurt SRR and good offense will beat a good defense somewhere down the line. SRR had so many damn weapons. Whitaker made guys who were elite like Chavez look outclassed but SRR stands supreme so we are left to wonder.

Comment

Originally posted by billeau2 View Post
                  Yeah...

thats a true statement.

Of the people mentioned I would give Whitaker a good chance to make things difficult because he had defensive skills that could neutralize. But Whitaker could not really hurt SRR and good offense will beat a good defense somewhere down the line. SRR had so many damn weapons. Whitaker made guys who were elite like Chavez look outclassed but SRR stands supreme so we are left to wonder.
                  Floyd >>>> Sweet Pea. He doesnt everything better than Sweet Pea. If you give him a good chance youd have to give Floyd an even better chance

Comment

Originally posted by Pacquiao'd View Post
                    Floyd >>>> Sweet Pea. He doesnt everything better than Sweet Pea. If you give him a good chance youd have to give Floyd an even better chance
                    I hope you're trolling. Floyd = Pea, Pea > Floyd, Floyd > Pea would be acceptable, but Floyd >>>>>>> Pea is downright blasphemous.

Comment

Working...
                    X