Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: “Fighting Words” — Sergio: A Bad Night, or a Bad Sign?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Martinez was beaten by a better fighter, he never once mentioned any injuries before he laced his gloves on the 27th, if he wasn't fit to box then he should of cancelled the fight. He never cancelled, he boxed, he got beaten up by a very good contender named Martin Murray. The end.

Comment

murray won that fight

made serg look like a washed up roy jones

trying to so the same arms down shiz but getting tagged and dropped

Comment

Martinez will push himself into at least one big purse fight.
        But, beforehand, he should get proper medical treatment and professional training.
        In case Martinez is not able to somehow re-establish his left hand, his next fight would be the last one.
        It's trivial...

Comment

It's a bad sign. Facts are facts. Sergio is 38 years old, and Father Time waits for no man. I think Sergio performed as well as he could, given his age and his injuries. He probably came back too soon from the hand and knee injuries suffered during the Chavez fight... I think he said so himself.

None of this is to discredit Murray. He fought a hell of a fight, and had he pushed a bit harder in the last couple of rounds, he may have pulled out the decision. Having said that, it was going to be hard to pull out a decision in Martinez's hometown.

What I don't get is this insistence by a few of Chavez "ruining" Martinez. That's just ludicrous. Martinez schooled Chavez over 11 and a half rounds. Beat his face to a pulp... exposed (yes, the word fits here) Chavez as a one-dimensional fighter... and yet he got "ruined"? Like someone else mentioned, how do you ruin a fighter by winning half a round over a 12-round fight? Martinez got caught, was knocked down... and got back up to finish the fight. End of story.

Comment

Obviously Sergio isn't quite what he used to be, but I think some people are exaggerating how far he's slipped. Murray looked very good but I thought Martinez won by a point or two. The difference was Murray won his rounds by a wider margin than Sergio won his. I would still favor Martinez over most middleweights, but Saturday night it showed how small of a 160 pounder Sergio really is. I'd also like to see more of Murray after that fight, that was my first time seeing him fight and I came away somewhat impressed.

Comment

The decline in his reflexes was startling. He looks to be on the verge of being done.

Comment

Originally posted by shynequasiog22 View Post
                Obviously Sergio isn't quite what he used to be, but I think some people are exaggerating how far he's slipped. Murray looked very good but I thought Martinez won by a point or two. The difference was Murray won his rounds by a wider margin than Sergio won his. I would still favor Martinez over most middleweights, but Saturday night it showed how small of a 160 pounder Sergio really is. I'd also like to see more of Murray after that fight, that was my first time seeing him fight and I came away somewhat impressed.
                Murray had a similarly close fight with Felix Sturm. Sergio Martinez would not have had a close fight with Martin Murray two years ago, or even one year ago.

Comment

Sergio hastaken an pld boxers 1st step back vs a guy I really thought he would dominate & possibly tko late...he showed me nothing & I wouldn't have bee upset w/ a draw or even a W 4 the other guy...SM got over w/that close score & WBC bigwigs@ rindside...

Comment

looking at his last few fights Sergio is giving up too much size to these middleweights. It seems like he could and should fight at 154 no problem.

The size and reach disadvantage that he has every fight is starting to catch up to him.

But maybe I'm wrong and he cant make 154, but i would be surprised

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles1987 View Post
                      Murray had a similarly close fight with Felix Sturm. Sergio Martinez would not have had a close fight with Martin Murray two years ago, or even one year ago.
                      I can't judge how he would have fared against Murray before since I never saw Murray until this fight, and I do agree that Martinez is on the decline, but if his hand is actually broke like he said then that made a huge difference because he just didn't have the pop to make Murray think twice about opening up. His reflexes are worse but he still controlled the distance well early in the fight I thought.

Comment

Working...
                      X