Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [LMAO!] Study: Windows 8 PCs loaded with crapware

Study: Windows 8 PCs loaded with crapware
    Friday, November 30, 2012 · 4:31 pm · 28 Comments

“In a recent study on Windows 8 crapware, tech news site InformationWeek polled PC makers to see what software they were bundling into their computers,” Don Reisinger reports for MIT Technology Review. “The vendors were surprisingly forthright, detailing the many first- and third-party programs added to their PCs.”

Reisinger reports, “Crapware has long been a thorn in the sides of Windows users. Consumers and enterprise users buy PCs under the faulty impression that they’ll be getting a completely clean computer when they break open the box. Instead, they find a PC that’s been loaded up with junk that they typically don’t need. What’s worse, all of that software slows down boot times and performance, since the programs are usually set to load automatically and typically run in the background.”

“Microsoft is nice enough to offer a ‘Signature’ experience to Windows shoppers that improves boot times and increases shut down speeds. Best of all, the company removes all trialware before shipping PCs to customers,” Reisinger reports. “But like anything else in the land of crapware, there’s a catch: Microsoft charges $99 for Signature.”

Read more in the full article here.

MacDailyNews Take: Platform o’ Crap.

Microsoft are a bunch of cheap ****ing bastards lmao

Comment

Thats ok I'm still on Windows 4.

Comment

Windows 8 isn't that bad. I was unimpressed at first but I've been using it a lot more now, and I'm learning all the shortcuts and gestures.

+ you can just uninstall the crapware

Comment

I really like how Windows 8 by default doesn't support DVD playback! Put in a DVD and nothing happens! You have to buy an upgrade, "Windows 8 Pro Pack", in order to play a DVD. Of course you can download a 3rd party video player such as VLC player or whatever, but still, the f'n fact that you can't play a DVD by default w/o paying for an upgrading is comical.

I guess in the Micro$oft fantasy land in Redmond, WA they think everyone is walking around with Surface RT's & Window's phones and have no need for DVDs anymore.

And I disagree with the poster above, Windows 8 really is bad. I'm sure it will be just fine on a tablet, such as the expensive Surface Pro that will come out in January, but for laptops/desktops it's a disaster of an operating system.
          Last edited by ИATAS; 12-01-2012, 12:24 PM.

Comment

I'll stick with Linux. Thank you very much...

Comment

Originally posted by LeftHookGarcia View Post
              I'll stick with Linux. Thank you very much...

that's what I do. Still have Windows 7 for some things but dual boot.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post
                I really like how Windows 8 by default doesn't support DVD playback! Put in a DVD and nothing happens! You have to buy an upgrade, "Windows 8 Pro Pack", in order to play a DVD. Of course you can download a 3rd party video player such as VLC player or whatever, but still, the f'n fact that you can't play a DVD by default w/o paying for an upgrading is comical.

I guess in the Micro$oft fantasy land in Redmond, WA they think everyone is walking around with Surface RT's & Window's phones and have no need for DVDs anymore.

And I disagree with the poster above, Windows 8 really is bad. I'm sure it will be just fine on a tablet, such as the expensive Surface Pro that will come out in January, but for laptops/desktops it's a disaster of an operating system.
                I torrent all my movies anyway =/ I'm not gonna spend a dollar on a dvd or blu

Comment

Windows 8 is aight.

Comment

Originally posted by THE ИATAS View Post

That's been the case with every windows hasn't it? It's not hard to install a codec and most PC's come with DVD software already installed.

Comment

Working...
                    X