Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chavez Sr. was nothing but a brawler with no defense or boxing skills...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chavez era un monstruo

Comment

Originally posted by brick wall View Post
      i don't think there's an offense-minded fighter in boxing history who has/had amazing defense anyway so i don't know what you're getting at.
      Roberto Duran springs to mind.

Comment

JCC Sr skills and defense are underrated. His defense wasn't amazing...You not going to put his in the ATG defensive fighters category. But, his defense was good enough.

JCC Sr was more versatile than what he gets credit for. Could also fight off the back foot if needed, of course could come forward, could cutoff the ring, great inside fighter, very good defense on the inside, could roll off and turn with punches, great combinations puncher.

His main strength though was his chin, combination punches, and heavy hands.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
          Roberto Duran springs to mind.
          Beat me too it, prick.

Jose Napoles and Dwight Qawi as well.

Comment

i dont get why u have to be one or the other. jcc wasnt a brawler. he was very skilled at what he did. there arent many come forward infighter types who can do that today. but he wasnt a defensive wiz. didnt need to be, and thats perfectly fine.

Comment

Ruben puts it best when he say's Chavez had good defense, it wasn't amazing.

But, he does have an underrated defense and skills. He had the ability to get out the way of shots.

He was crude at times, though. He wasn't exactly a slickster who didn't get hit. Duran is much better example of that.

Chavez was a superb combination puncher, an exceptional chin, one of the all time great left hooks to the body and could punch real good. He had a lot of tools and was a great fighter, no doubt.

Despite his unbearable fanbase, I was actually a fan of Chavez all the way up to 1993. I still like watching Chavez now. The only fighter I ever rooted for against Chavez was Roger Mayweather.

Speaking of which, Mayweather hit Chavez alot in the second fight. Even the round before he had to submit, he was tagging Chavez at will with the jab.

To say he barely hit in his career it outright wrong. Despite the deception that he was a face first brawler and got hit at will, which is dumb. But it's just as ill informed to say he didn't get hit at all.

Like Ruben said, the reason he wasn't dropped throguhout his prime is more down to his exceptional chin than his defense.

Comment

Originally posted by NChristo View Post
                Beat me too it, prick.

Jose Napoles and Dwight Qawi as well.

I was going to say Qawi.

**** Napoles, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                  Not trying to sound like the boxing guru here...
                  LOL, you try in every post. You try much too hard. And nobody buys it. Except a couple of ******s in the Lounge.

Originally posted by Cuauhtémoc1502 View Post
                  Jr has heart but he doesn't have **** on his daddy.
                  Yeah, this really needed saying, because, like, all I hear on this forum these days is how Jr. is the fistic image of his old man.

Comment

Originally posted by brick wall View Post
                    i don't think there's an offense-minded fighter in boxing history who has/had amazing defense anyway so i don't know what you're getting at.
                    Ummm, ever heard of Winky Wright?

Comment

Originally posted by STONES! View Post
                      LOL, you try in every post. You try much too hard. And nobody buys it. Except a couple of ******s in the Lounge.

Yeah, this really needed saying, because, like, all I hear on this forum these days is how Jr. is the fistic image of his old man.
                      LULZ....................

Cuauh,

Comment

Working...
                      X