Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Is 2015 Finally The Year of Gennady Golovkin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Is 2015 Finally The Year of Gennady Golovkin?

By Thomas Gerbasi - Gennady Golovkin is not one for New Year’s resolutions or Facebook-friendly proclamations of “New Year, New Me.” No, not this 160-pound wrecking machine from Kazakhstan. But the man widely regarded as the true middleweight king does have high hopes for 2015, and if his wishes come true, the boxing world will celebrate along with him.

“I want the big names,” Golovkin said from his training camp in Big Bear, California, where he is preparing for a February 21 date with Martin Murray in Monte Carlo. “This year will be very good for me, for my fans, for everybody.”

The big names Golovkin has wanted are the same ones that have been on his hit list ever since he rose to prominence on the international scene in late 2012: Miguel Cotto, Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., Saul “Canelo” Alvarez, and Andre Ward. Throw in pound-for-pound king Floyd Mayweather, and you have a selection of foes that could elevate “GGG” to mainstream star and not just boxing cult hero. And if anyone deserves that “big” fight, it’s the ever-smiling Golovkin, whose recent destruction of Marco Antonio Rubio last October proved why he may be the most popular fighter casual sports fans have yet to adopt.

In with a fighter he was expected to beat, but who had the power to gain his respect and, at the very least, figured to give him some rounds, Golovkin decided not to stick around to see what Rubio could do, blasting him out in two rounds. It was a finish capped off by an overhand left like nothing you have ever seen, a punch that put the Mexican down and out and reinforced the notion that if Golovkin hits you flush, you’re going to sleep.

“It's not just about one punch,” he said. “It’s my timing and my position to throw a great punch also. Of course, I thank my coach Abel Sanchez. He opened my eyes and I throw a lot of different punches in different situations, but I have my original power, my original speed, and that comes from hard work every day.” [Click Here To Read More]

I hope so. But this is boxing in 2015, everyone will probably still be running scared.

Comment

everyone ducking him except the poor bastards who dont have that luxury. So its been the year of GGG!

Comment

Finally the year he faces a live opponent? Hopefully...

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          I know he hasn't fought any A level guys yet, but the way he destroyed Geale has to stand for something. Geale is a neat and tidy boxer, solid B level fighter, and Golovkin just abused him the way a great fighter does to those guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
            You should care less about Golovkin's "live opponents" and care more about your boy Wilder "live opponents" -- Wilder is the big champ, not that siberian bloke...

Comment

I have faith in Canelo. He's the only fighter I know of that takes tough fights even when he doesn't have to. If any big name fights GGG in 2015, it will be him.

Comment

Murray's no push over & could well be GGG's toughest fight so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Mick Higgs View Post
                  Murray's no push over & could well be GGG's toughest fight so far.
                  ... It is supposed to be so...
                  But did you ask yourself just why are they fighting in Monte Carlo?

Comment

Instead of talking ishhhht about his lack of level A opponents. How about some of you focus your energy on asking those guys why not a single one of em has stepped up to take on the big bad wolf. Kinda hard for him to face ppl that please you when those same mofo's want no part of him. Outside of Ward not one single man from 154 to 160 with what can be considered A level talent has actually said "yeah i'll fight him". Instead they all get a pass for saying "we'll see". Oh and this man will retire Cotto if he does not vacate his titles, believe that.

Comment

Working...
                    X