Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The AlexKid 'questions about punchers, chins, hiprotation etc.' superduper thread.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There is not a lot of great competition down at Tiny Town. His division was one step up from midget boxing. There was a rumor that he once knocked out a blindfolded dalmatian because he heard Duran had KO'd a pony.

Comment

• rocky
      j jackson
      hearns
      foreman
      louis
      tyson
      shavers
      tua
      trinidad
      pac
      chico
      rjj

Comment

• Why did hamed use leaping left hooks and roy didnt?

when fighting in mirrored stances?

Why did Roy not use the leaping left hook vs south paws?

Hammed used it alot vs orthodox fighters as a southpaw

Comment

• Originally posted by AlexKid View Post

I think (maybe i'm wrong) it was because Hamed was a southpaw, he would fight orthodox most of the time, but Roy wouldn't fight southpaws as frequently.

Comment

• Southpaws are much more comfortable fighting orthodox than Orthodox fighters fighting southpaws, 80%+ of any fighters' opponents are orthodox so southpaws are used to fighting the opposite stance. Even though Roy had great performances vs most southpaws he faced, I always had the feeling that he wasn't really comfortable fighting them, I remember him in his prime getting dropped and seriously hurt (which unlike Prince Naseem was a rarity in Roy's prime) by a basic jab left hand against Lou del Valle.

Roy would normally set up that leaping left hook by feinting the jab, forcing his orthodox opponent to move his right guard to parry the jab and that frees the side of their face for the hook, Roy would leap with that hook while pivoting to an angle to avoid being countered. Whereas while facing a southpaw the southpaw would try to block the jab with his lead hand (right glove) and won't move it far enough for the side of his head to be free for a left hook, plus if Roy pivots to his right in this case while leaping he can run into a counter left hand, so instead of that he's use his right hand (straights and hooks) and then dipping and sliding to his right or pivoting to his left. Prince Naseem got countered and dropped much more than Roy because he didn't care, he believed so much in his chin and wasn't defensively responsible a lot of the time.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dip_Slide View Post
              Southpaws are much more comfortable fighting orthodox than Orthodox fighters fighting southpaws, 80%+ of any fighters' opponents are orthodox so southpaws are used to fighting the opposite stance. Even though Roy had great performances vs most southpaws he faced, I always had the feeling that he wasn't really comfortable fighting them, I remember him in his prime getting dropped and seriously hurt (which unlike Prince Naseem was a rarity in Roy's prime) by a basic jab left hand against Lou del Valle.

Roy would normally set up that leaping left hook by feinting the jab, forcing his orthodox opponent to move his right guard to parry the jab and that frees the side of their face for the hook, Roy would leap with that hook while pivoting to an angle to avoid being countered. Whereas while facing a southpaw the southpaw would try to block the jab with his lead hand (right glove) and won't move it far enough for the side of his head to be free for a left hook, plus if Roy pivots to his right in this case while leaping he can run into a counter left hand, so instead of that he's use his right hand (straights and hooks) and then dipping and sliding to his right or pivoting to his left. Prince Naseem got countered and dropped much more than Roy because he didn't care, he believed so much in his chin and wasn't defensively responsible a lot of the time.
              awesome cheers bro great knowledge!!

Comment

• Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                I think (maybe i'm wrong) it was because Hamed was a southpaw, he would fight orthodox most of the time, but Roy wouldn't fight southpaws as frequently.
                great point!

Did Nunn score a KO vs a guy with a completely stretched out arm?

I know he used the long hook alot but this was like a floppy fully outstretched arm like a back fist and he scored a KO with it?

Comment

Faster feet. Roy's feet were so fast he could step in faster than a leap without the same vulnerability. A boxer in mid air is always vulnerable.

Comment

great point!

Did Nunn score a KO vs a guy with a completely stretched out arm?

I know he used the long hook alot but this was like a floppy fully outstretched arm like a back fist and he scored a KO with it?
                    What do you mean with stretched out?
                    English isn't my first language so i get some troubles sometimes.

Comment

• Originally posted by yngwie View Post
                      What do you mean with stretched out?
                      English isn't my first language so i get some troubles sometimes.

like this

he was a black boxer, a south paw, and had a body shape and weight simlar to Nunns.

He threw it exactly like in the video with a big slip and a massive swing, its the first time ive seen anyone punch like that in a boxing ring

Comment

Working...
                      X