No announcement yet.

How About a Boxing Season?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How About a Boxing Season?

I don't believe this has ever happened before, but much like other sports that are now more popular, what if boxing had an actual season?

Now, my idea is that it would be a "Championship Season." Obviously fights are going to happen all year, regardless. It's always been that way.

However, in the interest of promotion and as an excitement generator for the sport, I think the championship fights could all happen in one season- probably about 3-4 months long possibly between the Superbowl and the NBA Play-offs.

Another spin is this.

It is a national season.

Obviously, anyone can compete, but the fights all take place on American soil and the winners get regional belts and nice checks.

The fights are held on free TV of course and all for the titles.

The highest caliber fighters might not participate, but they may for the exposure. As the years pass, however, this would be a great promotional tool.

When every season starts, whoever was champion before must defend his title again in the 3-4month period where a title fight is held every week. So, we're probably talking two fights for each champion in that span.

It would be a regular fight every week and actually, if two fights were on each week, it would probably have to be drawn out to six months.

It's a work in progress in my head, but I think the idea of a boxing season has potential. Might even have it be an annual American tournament, but no Contender style reality crap. Just the fights themselves. You build your name with your performances.
Working...
X