Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who could beat a prime Pernell Whitaker?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hakuna Matata View Post
    Sweet Pea's first pro loss was in a 15 rounder and I'm pretty sure it was his first title shot. He wasn't exactly in his 'prime' yet though and he lost because he gassed out.

I think Floyd Mayweather at 130 or 135 vs. Sweet Pea would have been one hell of a boxing clinic.
    It was a 12 round fight and Whitaker was robbed. He never "gassed out".

Comment

Given Sweet Pea's style I don't think anyone will convincingly beat him unless they have a significant size advantage.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
        It was a 12 round fight and Whitaker was robbed. He never "gassed out".
        You're right about the bout being 12 rounds but the fight I watched it looked like Pernell was tired in the championship rounds. I'm not saying he wasn't robbed, but I am saying that he lost the final rounds because he was gassed.
        But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by DeepSleep View Post
          Given Sweet Pea's style I don't think anyone will convincingly beat him unless they have a significant size advantage.
          I'm going to go with this.

Sweet Pea does very well H2H, I believe. Actually I think most defensive boxers do but that's just me.

Comment

I give lightweight duran the best chance, however convincingly is the problem, sweet pea rolled, ducked and dodged too many punches and guys with a high punch output were very good at looking busy as opposed to actually hitting him, therefore "convincingly" is a big issue, but i give duran a good shot just because there were times where Whitaker could actually be touched and Duran could certainly drop whitaker at 135 to even up any lost rounds on the scorcard.

nonethless. good question, the carlos ortiz at LW comes to mind but someone already said that. Manny Pacquiao at 135/130 as someone mentioned i dont think thats a particularly good mactcup for pacquiao since Whitakers jab and movement would be too much to overcome, a guy like morales showed that an accurate jab causes alot of problems for pacquiao, i dont think its favorable for him.

Comment

duran, carlos ortiz, benny leonard at 135 maybe ike williams too

at 47 there are a good amount

Comment

Pacquiao knocks him out hatton style

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                  sometimes I think you're just trolling

but then I realize you're just a simpleton that actually believes what he says.

Comment

Originally posted by Check_hooks View Post
                    go away and never come back please

Comment

Originally posted by El Jesus View Post
                      I give lightweight duran the best chance, however convincingly is the problem, sweet pea rolled, ducked and dodged too many punches and guys with a high punch output were very good at looking busy as opposed to actually hitting him, therefore "convincingly" is a big issue, but i give duran a good shot just because there were times where Whitaker could actually be touched and Duran could certainly drop whitaker at 135 to even up any lost rounds on the scorcard.

nonethless. good question, the carlos ortiz at LW comes to mind but someone already said that. Manny Pacquiao at 135/130 as someone mentioned i dont think thats a particularly good mactcup for pacquiao since Whitakers jab and movement would be too much to overcome, a guy like morales showed that an accurate jab causes alot of problems for pacquiao, i dont think its favorable for him.
                      Whitaker doesn't have anywhere near enough power to cause the problems that Morales did. Pacquiao has the handspeed advantage and would consistently beat Pernell to the punch when he tried to stay in and counter punch

Worst possible matchup for Whitaker
                      Last edited by SCtrojansbaby; 10-17-2011, 12:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X