Basic income for all the citizen...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic income for all the citizen...

source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36454060

Swiss voters have overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to introduce a guaranteed basic income for all.

Final results from Sunday's referendum showed that nearly 77% opposed the plan, with only 23% backing it.

The proposal had called for adults to be paid an unconditional monthly income, whether they worked or not.

The supporters camp had suggested a monthly income of 2,500 Swiss francs (£1,755; $2,555) for adults and also SFr625 for each child.

The amounts reflected the high cost of living in Switzerland. It is not clear how the plan would have affected people on higher salaries.

The supporters had also argued that since work was increasingly automated, fewer jobs were available for workers.

Switzerland is the first country to hold such a vote.

There was little support among Swiss politicians for the idea and not a single parliamentary party came out in favour, but the proposal gathered more than 100,000 signatures and was therefore put to the vote under the Swiss popular initiative system.

Critics of the measure said that disconnecting the link between work done and money earned would have been bad for society.

But Che Wagner from the campaign group Basic Income Switzerland, argued before the vote that it would not be money for nothing.

"In Switzerland over 50% of total work that is done is unpaid. It's care work, it's at home, it's in different communities, so that work would be more valued with a basic income."

This seem a noble idea
    Do you have a good idea on how it can be implemented and how it can be financed by the government?.

1) How much income amount is ideal.
    2) How and where the government can get the fund to finance it.
    3) What will the people have to do to be eligible to get the basic pay.

If you think it will fail,
    how will it fail, and all the reason for it to fail.

discuss.

What if you're good with money and make your $2500 a month into a million a year? Am I suppose to stay on a fixed income when I can make a lot more?

Comment

That is excellent news.

Comment

Surprised that failed there. I thought those people were more progressive about that stuff.

A basic income is gonna happen sooner or later. There is gonna be robots that can steal any job out there in the next 50 or so years. More & more factories will be going dark & just having people from home monitoring them & having legit workers going in to fix problems. More service oriented businesses will be robots helping you with maybe a legit security guard or something like that. Dealing with real people is gonna be some **** that only goes down in luxury service oriented companies. McDonald's, Taco Bell & Walmart gonna have the minimal amount of real people in them.

So eventually a job is gonna be harder to attain & keep for the most skilled humans like it or not & there will still be all these companies trying to sell **** so something has to come to a head. Either a lot of companies will need to go outta business or you gotta give the masses x free money a month to keep economies alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
          source: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36454060

Swiss voters have overwhelmingly rejected a proposal to introduce a guaranteed basic income for all.

Final results from Sunday's referendum showed that nearly 77% opposed the plan, with only 23% backing it.

The proposal had called for adults to be paid an unconditional monthly income, whether they worked or not.

The supporters camp had suggested a monthly income of 2,500 Swiss francs (£1,755; $2,555) for adults and also SFr625 for each child.

The amounts reflected the high cost of living in Switzerland. It is not clear how the plan would have affected people on higher salaries.

The supporters had also argued that since work was increasingly automated, fewer jobs were available for workers.

Switzerland is the first country to hold such a vote.

There was little support among Swiss politicians for the idea and not a single parliamentary party came out in favour, but the proposal gathered more than 100,000 signatures and was therefore put to the vote under the Swiss popular initiative system.

Critics of the measure said that disconnecting the link between work done and money earned would have been bad for society.

But Che Wagner from the campaign group Basic Income Switzerland, argued before the vote that it would not be money for nothing.

"In Switzerland over 50% of total work that is done is unpaid. It's care work, it's at home, it's in different communities, so that work would be more valued with a basic income."

This seem a noble idea
          Do you have a good idea on how it can be implemented and how it can be financed by the government?.

1) How much income amount is ideal.
          2) How and where the government can get the fund to finance it.
          3) What will the people have to do to be eligible to get the basic pay.

If you think it will fail,
          how will it fail, and all the reason for it to fail.

discuss.
          The reason it will fail is because there is a large segment of the population that is uneducated. The money will go to drugs, da club, or other things that are not important.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
            What if you're good with money and make your $2500 a month into a million a year? Am I suppose to stay on a fixed income when I can make a lot more?
            It's not something that they can force feed you, If you're good with money then keep taking them and rolling the money till you become a gazillionaire.

Comment

Originally posted by Infamous View Post
              It's not fixed, that's the minimum everyone would receive, even the lay abouts that choose not to work.

Comment

Originally posted by Eff Pandas View Post
                Surprised that failed there. I thought those people were more progressive about that stuff.

A basic income is gonna happen sooner or later. There is gonna be robots that can steal any job out there in the next 50 or so years. More & more factories will be going dark & just having people from home monitoring them & having legit workers going in to fix problems. More service oriented businesses will be robots helping you with maybe a legit security guard or something like that. Dealing with real people is gonna be some **** that only goes down in luxury service oriented companies. McDonald's, Taco Bell & Walmart gonna have the minimal amount of real people in them.

So eventually a job is gonna be harder to attain & keep for the most skilled humans like it or not & there will still be all these companies trying to sell **** so something has to come to a head. Either a lot of companies will need to go outta business or you gotta give the masses x free money a month to keep economies alive.
                How much do you think the basic income should be let say in the U.S.
                And what one should be doing to be eligible to receive them.

I mean this should not be like a welfare cheque.

Comment

Originally posted by krazyn8tive View Post
                  The reason it will fail is because there is a large segment of the population that is uneducated. The money will go to drugs, da club, or other things that are not important.
                  I don't think they are a "large segment of the population". Although they exist they can be curbed in the future by healing them.
                  Sort of how the "health care system" heal the population.

Comment

Originally posted by Amazinger View Post
                    It's not something that they can force feed you, If you're good with money then keep taking them and rolling the money till you become a gazillionaire.
                    Which begs the question, should I still receive it if I'm making that much? Won't ppl who are not good with money protest and say my $2500 should be redistributed to ppl who need it? When does it end?

Comment

Working...
                    X