Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What did Larry Holmes have against Tommy Morrison?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beez721 View Post
    he flat out said morrison was the worst fighter in the world. he also dissed cooney and has been quoted as saying wlad is a bum with no jab. sounds pretty damn rascist to me. that would be a hell of a coincidence
    Holmes often made himself look like a imbecile prick outside the ring. Very jealous man.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthPawHitman View Post
      I'm not going to accuse Larry of being racist but I do know that his wife did have an affair with a white man. I don't know if that has anything to do with Larry's dislike of Tommy Morrison,Marciano,Jerry Qarry,and Gerry Cooney but its something to think about. Again I'm not saying Larry is prejudice or racist.

Now him and Cooney are really good friends now,but leading up to their fight Larry hated Gerry for no reason.
      Larry "hated" Cooney for the same reason Marvin Hagler "hated" every opponent he ever fought in the lead-up -- fuel.

When you're at the top, every fight is against a guy trying to take away everything you've earned. When you're on your way to the top, every fight is against someone who is trying to block you from everything you want to attain.

Comment

Although Hagler hated Leonard for the same reason, because he had to work hard to get to the top and things came more easily for Leonard, like with Holmes and Cooney. Difference is Hagler still doesn't like Leonard. I kind of wish Hagler had made Leonard wait a long time like Leonard did to him, but he probably knew it would be a pretty big payday.

Did Holmes say the jock strap comment before or after the first Spinks fight? I plan on watching a career set of Holmes again, but in order this time when I can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony342 View Post
          Although Hagler hated Leonard for the same reason, because he had to work hard to get to the top and things came more easily for Leonard, like with Holmes and Cooney. Difference is Hagler still doesn't like Leonard. I kind of wish Hagler had made Leonard wait a long time like Leonard did to him, but he probably knew it would be a pretty big payday.

Did Holmes say the jock strap comment before or after the first Spinks fight? I plan on watching a career set of Holmes again, but in order this time when I can get it.
          Thankfully, I do have his career set.. He was in essence a good guy and a wonderful fighter.. It's just unfortunate he had that bitter side to him.. Well, in that respect he wasn't all that different from Tyson..

Comment

Did Holmes say the jock strap comment before or after the first Spinks fight?
            I plan on watching a career set of Holmes again, but in order this time when I can get it.
            After at the post fight press conference.

Comment

Plus the whole Holmes-Ali situation.

Comment

Originally posted by TBear View Post
                Maybe by saying he was the worst, he was referring to the crop of heavyweights that were also coming up. Lewis, Bowe and even Mercer. Perhaps he also appreciated the work ethic of Bowe and Lewis to the goldenboy, movie star that Morrison was cast as.

In regard to saying he was no Morrison I am pretty sure he meant that he was not going to fold and was a lot harder to hit than Morrison was for Mercer.
                Holmes could see Morrison was very limited and was a steroid abuser. Holmes in his Autobiography (Against the Odds) claims Lennox Lewis was garbage. saying Joe Frazier would have "Bombed him Out" in less than 2rds.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
                  Holmes could see Morrison was very limited and was a steroid abuser. Holmes in his Autobiography (Against the Odds) claims Lennox Lewis was garbage. saying Joe Frazier would have "Bombed him Out" in less than 2rds.
                  I wager you one billion points that Larry's ghost writer never used the word garbage in reference to Lewis.

Wait, you are nearly pointless in a world of points. Make that 84 million points I will wager you.
                  Last edited by The Old LefHook; 07-21-2015, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                    After at the post fight press conference.
                    So then, all the judges had against him going into the fight were his other bitter comments, got it. I know some believe Holmes should've got the decision against Spinks, even in the first fight.

Comment

So then, all the judges had against him going into the fight were his other bitter comments, got it. I know some believe Holmes should've got the decision against Spinks, even in the first fight.
                      Those two bouts with Spinks were epic and very interesting..I guess everyone will have an opinion on who won.. Michael himself said after the first he didn't expect he would get the victory..

Comment

Working...
                      X