Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How far do you study boxing in terms of years...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 510-WANG-JR View Post
    I don't know how some of you are able to watch the old timers, and learn about the history while still keeping up with the new days. I'm try to watch as much boxing as I can, but time doesn't allow me to study it as one needs to get an in-depth insight into the history of the sport. The oldest I have studied boxing is the ali era I think. I have read, and watched documentaries about fighters before Ali, but I have never seen them fight. If anyone on here knows me they know i'm not oblivious to the sweet science, yet I do not perceive myself as knowledgeable as posters in the history section. So how far have you gone back in boxing to watch, and study their time period and the prevalent fights in that time.

The beauty of boxing history is you have your whole life to keep learning about it. Im no expert, but I start out reading and watching fights of fighters who have caught my interest in one way or another. The more I learn about them the further I branch out into their competition, era and social environment. Unlike many posters I welcome the chance to learn more through posters more knowledgeable than myself and usually learn something new everyday.

Comment

All I do is study. I'm not really somebody who just follows the new stuff. I'm constantly learning more every day. I'm only 17, fight night round 2 & Lewis-Tyson is what kind of got me interested when I was like 10-11. But I really didn't start getting into it and following it until 14-15. since then I've been non-stop busting my ass to learn more and more. I won't comment on a subject unless I've done my research.

I'll be honest, I don't watch much past the Ali era either besides fighters I choose to want to watch like Sugar Ray, Lamotta, and the other big names from the 40-50's. I only went as far back to the 20's when I learned about the Tunney-Dempsey 2nd fight controversy in my American Studies class when we were learning about the 20's. And I looked up those too.

I love learning more. Whenever I'm bored at home, I light up and enjoy a nice scrap, preferably a fight I haven't seen yet. I don't have many favorite fighters. I just love the sport and enjoy every aspect. I try to learn as much as I can as I'm starting to train boxing/MMA too. I'm a fight fan. I watch a lot of fights. I rather research my **** then constantly babble about just one fighter everyday on here, any day of the week...

Comment

i love watching 50's middleweight and welterweight fights on youtube. robinson, lamotta, grazziano, ond heavey weight fights to marciano, liston, ali, and patterson...

Comment

Originally posted by natedatpkid View Post
          all i do is study. I'm not really somebody who just follows the new stuff. I'm constantly learning more every day. I'm only 17, fight night round 2 & lewis-tyson is what kind of got me interested when i was like 10-11. But i really didn't start getting into it and following it until 14-15. Since then i've been non-stop busting my ass to learn more and more. I won't comment on a subject unless i've done my research.

I'll be honest, i don't watch much past the ali era either besides fighters i choose to want to watch like sugar ray, lamotta, and the other big names from the 40-50's. I only went as far back to the 20's when i learned about the tunney-dempsey 2nd fight controversy in my american studies class when we were learning about the 20's. And i looked up those too.

I love learning more. Whenever i'm bored at home, i light up and enjoy a nice scrap, preferably a fight i haven't seen yet. i don't have many favorite fighters. I just love the sport and enjoy every aspect. I try to learn as much as i can as i'm starting to train boxing/mma too. I'm a fight fan. I watch a lot of fights. I rather research my **** then constantly babble about just one fighter everyday on here, any day of the week...

Comment

Hell yeah, I think being blazed is the best time to watch a fight. It's mad chill, but not only that it gets more intense too. I get more focused when I'm high so I notice more especially since everything slows down haha.

also when you get a funny ass trainer like Ruiz's Norman stoney stone it's a ****in riot!

Comment

Being stoned and watching old fights can be fun.

If it's a fight that's happening at the moment, I prefer to be drunk.

Comment

Originally posted by 510-WANG-JR View Post
                don't be afraid to drop boxing knowledge on these punk ass trolls...
                Lol at that comment, whilst you make a thread stating top 1-50 ATG is Manny Pacquiao. Oh the irony.

Comment

good question........... for me, all of it, or as much as possible for as far back as information and data permit. i have books and old manuals about boxing in the 1900's and some books about bareknuckle fights from the 1800's. boxing's history started in the early 1900's when law got involved and they started using gloves, etc, and it morphed into what it is today in and about the 50's, roughly.....

dude, don't worry about knowing anything certain unless you want know about it, there is so much in boxing and it's history, it's endless, just have fun with it, because it never ends. the more you know and know where it came from the more respect and interest you'll have in the sport. boxing is the greatest sport ever in the history of man............. IMHO.

Comment

since the late 1800's, some of the bare knuckle boxing stuff, even the orgins of boxing like stuff from the bc era.

Comment

I like the fights of the 40's and 50's with sugar ray, Basilio and such but I don't really seek out knowledge of the really old turn of the century stuff.Honestly my favorite era is the 70's and early 80's with the heavies of the 70's and the light heavies og the late 70's and the lighter weight guys of the early 80's. But there was certainly great fighters in the 90's too.

Comment

Working...
                      X