No announcement yet.

Sparring need help?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sparring need help?

Okay so today I had my first sparring match, he went really easy on me since he was way more experienced but here is the problem he was 2 heads bigger and probably weight 50 pounds more..

I could only land a couple of body shots and was mostly busy evading all of his punches but I just didn't know how to punch back cause he would throw a 1-2 combo that I could dodge but I couldn't hit him back since he had such a long reach

Any tips on how to create openings, and note I couldn't reach his head so I didn't even try to hit it it would made me too vulnerable for punches

Watch some video of Joe Frazier, Mike Tyson, Floyd Patterson.
    They were shorter fighters who used a peek-a-boo type offense (Frazier was more a bob and weave ind of guy.) By bobbing and weaving and side to side movement it should make you harder to hit, just make sure to take steps in with each movement.

Comment

Why are you in the ring sparring to begin with? Your supposed to be taught how to slip and block and counter punch and counter move long before you go in a ring. Try and find a trainer who can teach you the lessons first then after gaining some ability to perform them you go into the ring to apply what you've been taught.
      What the hell is a "sparring match" what country are you in and how old are you? Ray.

Comment

I'm from the Netherlands and 18 years old. And yes I do learn the basics etc. and sparring is a part of the program..

And what's so hard to understand what a 'sparring match' is? A match between 2 boxers maybe?

Comment

Sparring is training a match is when you apply your skills against anothers. Sparring is a learning experience until your preparing for a fight, understand.
          If your trainer has taught you how to react to what your sparring partner is doing why are you asking? Do you know how to block a jab and counter? Can you slip a jab and counter? Do you know how to pivot step away? Theres so much to learn just off of a jab!!!! Thats why I ask if you've been taught atleast a few moves to counter a jab and then apply them in spar sessions. Ray

Comment

Reason why I am asking this is cause I am probably not gonna fight someone that is 50 pounds above my weightclass.. So it's harder for me to decide what to do when he keeps throwing body punches @ me and he is this huge guy so I usually just back off..

Ah well I'm better of asking my trainer next time thanks for the suggestions and replies all

Comment

thanks RC you have right. when starting out fighters need more people like you. if you don't know it. YOU ARE A GEM!

Comment

You have to practice stepping in when you slip. Not slip and then step. everything happens at the same time. Slip, step with your left foot (at the same time), slip back to the other side and bring your right foot up (at the same time). You have to gain ground with every move that you make if you want to counter a tall guy like that...........Rockin'

Comment

Working...
                X