No announcement yet.

Pernell Whitaker>Barney Ross

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pernell Whitaker>Barney Ross

In my opinion Pernell Whitaker is greater than Barney Ross, it's close but Whitaker clearly for me.

More skilled. Beat hims in a H2H. Just overall a greater fighter.

Agree?

No argument here

Sweet Pea at his very best is hard to top...

Comment

Disagree.

Barney Ross is a minimum Top 20-25 of all time.

I'm not so sure I can say the same for Pernell Whitaker.

Barney Ross is definitely the greater fighter.

Comment

Barney Ross is a 3 weight world champion at a time when there was only 1 belt per weight class, meaning he was the lineal/undisputed champion for all of them.

In winning the LW and JWW titles he had to go through HOF Tony Canzoneri who he then defeated in a rematch in his first defence.

To win the WW title he had to go through another HOF McLarlin, who again he beat but, lost a rematch soon after but, thankfully beat him again to win his title back. He defended it two times before being punished by Armstrong losing his title then retiring.

During his title reigns he defended his Junior Welterweight title 9 times and his Lightweight crown and never defended his LW title.

He holds victories over HOF's (as mentioned earlier) McLarlin x2 , Canzoneri x2, and numerous world Champions including Battling Ballatino and Frankie Klick.

H2H and skill is much more subjective than accomplishments and shouldn't primarily used to judge greatness in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Barney Ross is a 3 weight world champion at a time when there was only 1 belt per weight class, meaning he was the lineal/undisputed champion for all of them.

In winning the LW and JWW titles he had to go through HOF Tony Canzoneri who he then defeated in a rematch in his first defence.

To win the WW title he had to go through another HOF McLarlin, who again he beat but, lost a rematch soon after but, thankfully beat him again to win his title back. He defended it two times before being punished by Armstrong losing his title then retiring.

During his title reigns he defended his Junior Welterweight title 9 times and his Lightweight crown and never defended his LW title.

He holds victories over HOF's (as mentioned earlier) McLarlin x2 , Canzoneri x2, and numerous world Champions including Battling Ballatino and Frankie Klick.

H2H and skill is much more subjective than accomplishments and shouldn't primarily used to judge greatness in my opinion.
          Battalino is a HOF'er also.

He also beat Petrolle twice who is also a HOF'er.

Amongst many other top contenders in the Divisons he reigned as the Champion in.

Both Mclarnin and Canzoneri are Top 25 ATG's and he holds 2 wins over both of them.

For me, there's little argument for who is greater.

Comment

Originally posted by IronDanHamza View Post
            Battalino is a HOF'er also.

He also beat Petrolle twice who is also a HOF'er.

Amongst many other top contenders in the Divisons he reigned as the Champion in.

Both Mclarnin and Canzoneri are Top 25 ATG's and he holds 2 wins over both of them.

For me, there's little argument for who is greater.
            Agreed, didn't realise Petrolle was a HOF. Pernell Whitaker is starting to be horribly over-rated because of his skill levels. He's realistically nowhere near Top 3 Lightweight and I've seen him in the Top 20 in ATG lists (I was guilty of this as well at one point.)

Comment

Ross was a very brave fella, he refused to go to the war and just box exhibitions but, insisted on actually fighting for his country.

Also, Ross fought off two dozen Japanese soldiers and carried a wounded comrade who was nearly twice his weight back to the camp in Guadacanal. He then got a morphine addiction after being treated for his injuries, but overcame it and gave speeches on the consequences of drug abuse at local universities.

These kinds of acts and his fighting career also did a lot for Jews at such a horrible time for them.

Comment

He's talking H2H tho, and i just feel like Sweet Pea has the edge there

Comment

Originally posted by The Surgeon View Post
                  He's talking H2H tho, and i just feel like Sweet Pea has the edge there
                  As I said earlier, H2H is way too subjective to judge greatness.

If I said Tex Cobb could beat Muhammad Ali therefore Cobb is the greater fighter. It's pure opinion.

Comment

Barney Ross achieved more the Whitaker could have dreamed of. Hes top 15 pound for pound ATG, 20 at the MINIMUM.

Comment

Working...
                    X