Collapse
No announcement yet.

Riddick Bowe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A real good talent with only a couple wins of note who didn't last long or consistently challenge himself. I put a great deal of stock in longevity and consistently proving one's self.

Comment

Well for a start he is definitely worthy for the HOF.

Holyfield victories were great, but that's about the only really great ones. His wallopings from the foul poul and reluctance to face good+powerful opposition otherwise and his short prime really detract from him.

I rate him H2H very highly at his best, top 10 material on any list. He will always be a 2nd tier fighter to me though by comparison to Lewis and the Klits. Tyson and Holyfield were more his calibre being smaller HW's. Bowe loved to be the "big man" in his fights.

Lazy Bowe.

Chicken Bowe!

Comment

Originally posted by Elroy1 View Post
        Well for a start he is definitely worthy for the HOF.

Holyfield victories were great, but that's about the only really great ones. His wallopings from the foul poul and reluctance to face good+powerful opposition otherwise and his short prime really detract from him.

I rate him H2H very highly at his best, top 10 material on any list. He will always be a 2nd tier fighter to me though by comparison to Lewis and the Klits. Tyson and Holyfield were more his calibre being smaller HW's. Bowe loved to be the "big man" in his fights.

Lazy Bowe.

Chicken Bowe!
        They actually unbanned this waste of e-space...

Comment

Wasted talent IMHO. If he trained harder and was fully dedicated to his craft he could have done a lot more in an era that had some damn good heavyweights. A well trained and focused Riddick Bowe in his prime could've held his own against anyone. Sadly he never focused on his training nearly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by eric kelly View Post
            I am from the Bedstuy Boxing Center in Brooklyn, NY and was a big fan of Riddick Bowe. As a young kid, I traveled to vegas with our team from the gym when he beat Holyfield for the title.

That was Bowe's only and last great fight. He had a couple decent wins after that but you saw his decline as he rarely was in shape and totally disrespected the sport as a champion.

I am proud of Riddick for what he's done in the ring but I do not think that he is IBHOF worthy.

Do you?

I have a special place in my heart for Riddick Bowe. The fight that got me into boxing was a replay of Bowe vs. Holyfield 2. I was in elementary school, eating cereal, and flipping through channels looking for my morning cartoons when I happened upon the beginning of something that completely captured my attention and changed my life. I had just recently seen a few of the Rocky movies and loved them. What I saw that morning was all the drama that I had seen in the movies but in real-life. And it was better. I still watch that fight every single year.

Even though Bowe appeared to me as the villain (he was the bigger guy ala Drago) he played an important role in forming my identity as a person. I live and breathe boxing because of that fight. Who knows what I'd be obsessing over if I never happened upon that incredible fight.

In my humble opinion, Riddick Bowe is in my personal hall-of-fame. As for IBHOF, I don't know. I will continue to appreciate his sacrifices in the ring, even if he never makes it in. I just hope he's doing well.

Comment

Originally posted by bmud reggin View Post
              The only thing I remember about Bowe was how Golota beat his a s s! and how he joined the military but quit after a few days of basic training!
              Not surprising considering your user name.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X