zinedine zidane, slightly overrated?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• zinedine zidane, slightly overrated?

I used to watch Zidane for Madrid when Beckham played for them and i gotta say, even though on occasion Zidane was capable of the sublime, his goal against Leverkusen, not to mention his great skillset, i do think he was slightly overrated in terms of, he was inconsistent, sure he could turn it on in a split second but i cant say i ever saw him run a game, although i seem to remember him playing well in the WC where he got sent off, particularly in the Italy game if i recall, however there were too many times were he would go quiet in a game, i remember the France/England game in 2004, aside from his free kick and pen, he was not particularly effective in the game from what i remember, thats what i mean, he could turn it on in a split second sometimes but i cant say he used used to run games.

Originally posted by Dynamite Kid View Post

I used to watch Zidane for Madrid when Beckham played for them and i gotta say, even though on occasion Zidane was capable of the sublime, his goal against Leverkusen, not to mention his great skillset, i do think he was slightly overrated in terms of, he was inconsistent, sure he could turn it on in a split second but i cant say i ever saw him run a game, although i seem to remember him playing well in the WC where he got sent off, particularly in the Italy game if i recall, however there were too many times were he would go quiet in a game, i remember the France/England game in 2004, aside from his free kick and pen, he was not particularly effective in the game from what i remember, thats what i mean, he could turn it on in a split second sometimes but i cant say he used used to run games.
    He ran most of France' games in the WC 2006. He single handedly killed Brazil. He had a great game against Spain too. He was also GREAT in Euro 2000 when France won. Actually Zidane in 2000 is the closest to running games i can think of. he dominated.

What makes him great for me is that he always performed when it mattered the most. He was the complete opposite of big game flop, the bigger the game, the better he played.

Comment

Watch this vid homie. Zidane vs Brazil 2006 = perfect game

Comment

Nah man he wasnt overated he was a beast and a great holding midfielder, ever since he retired France have gotten **** he was the biggest leader in world football

Comment

Originally posted by Irish Hitman View Post
          Nah man he wasnt overated he was a beast and a great holding midfielder, ever since he retired France have gotten **** he was the biggest leader in world football
          I agree.

World Cup 1998 France win their first world cup. Zidane played

World Cup 2002 France go out in the Group Stages Zidane was injured and played only 1 game

World Cup 2006 France win their first world cup. Zidane captained his team to the final and France in a penalty shoot out. Zidane was named Player Of The Tournament

World Cup 2010 France go out in the Group Stages Zidane had retired and wasnt in the World Cup

Comment

I think maybe slightly. Its easy for people to get dazzled by the double in the 98 final and that goal in the UCL final against Leverkusen and start proclaiming Zidane as the best midfielder (or one of the best) of all time. He was still a great player though, particularly for France. One of the best of his generation. I did feel that at times in his club career, moreso in his later years at Madrid, he could drift out of games a little too much.

Comment

Underrated if anything. Zidane is top 3 ATG behind Pele and Maradona.

Comment

Originally posted by Junito-Rulez View Post
                Underrated if anything. Zidane is top 3 ATG behind Pele and Maradona.
                Yeah see this is what I'm talking about. He was a great player, just not quite that great IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan... View Post
                  Yeah see this is what I'm talking about. He was a great player, just not quite that great IMO.
                  Prime Zidane was untouchable.

Comment

I don’t know why people obsess with “he doesn’t control the game”. It’s a 90 minutes match, it takes a few key moments to win a match. That is what greatness is determined by. Look at Ronaldindo, he didn’t run around and puff himself out. He stayed up forward and did the job when required of him. Same thing was Zindae, moment of brilliance wins games

Comment

Working...
                    X