No announcement yet.

I just dont get Agnosticism

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Addition View Post
    What do you call someone who used to regularly attend church but no longer believes but at the same time still thinks there is some kind of higher power at work?

If it has a name, stick me in that category.
    Theism I guess but you don't have to be in any category the whole thing is a waste of time.

Bringer and the like will tell you theism and atheism are your only two choices - this is a false dichotomy.

Comment

Originally posted by BostonGuy View Post
      I think the 'working definition' of agnostic is: a person who doesn't deny the existence of a higher being or 'god' but one who believes that there is no proof of said god. From my experience, I think this is best definition and this is the definition that most people would agree upon.

As for me, I guess I'm an agnostic some days (I'm a skeptic by trade, I'm an auditor) but other days I believe in a creator and a higher being. I do not believe that God intervenes in worldly matters though (most of the time). But there was this time was in was surfing in Hawaii and I almost broke my neck and could have easily been paralyzed. Some days I think maybe God was there on my side (or on the back off my surfboard) and spared me that injury. Other times I just think I was lucky...
      I think if everyone is truthful they would admit they've also had unexplainable experiences - I know I have. Whether this was god/guardian angel or not, one thing I know for sure, there is definitely something else in play that we don't know about.

Comment

Originally posted by Fury View Post
        I think if everyone is truthful they would admit they've also had unexplainable experiences - I know I have. Whether this was god/guardian angel or not, one thing I know for sure, there is definitely something else in play that we don't know about.
        I dont understand why the unexplained always points to a supernatural cause for some people?

Especially considering that we know for a fact we can easily be fooled by our 5 senses in so many ways.

Comment

The major difference is that an atheist BELIEVES there are no gods. One can't say for certain whether there are gods or not, just like believers can't say that either.

They can say they BELIEVE which is much different. An agnostic is the same thing as an atheist when it all comes down to it because it's based on belief. It's just that an atheist is a little more forthright in what he/she believes.

I don't believe in a god or gods, simply because there's no good evidence of this claim. It doesn't mean that I know there are no gods but at the same time, I don't know if unicorns exist somewhere in the universe either.

Comment

Originally posted by Mud View Post
            I dont understand why the unexplained always points to a supernatural cause for some people?

Especially considering that we know for a fact we can easily be fooled by our 5 senses in so many ways.
            What would you call precognition, clairvoyance and telepathy?

Comment

Working...
            X