No announcement yet.

How do you rate Pipino Cuevas Chin?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you rate Pipino Cuevas Chin?

I just watch a clip of his fight with Hearns and thought it was amazing that he got up from the shot that put him down although he was not judged able to continue. I have not seen alot of his fights but he did have a long run as champ. He does not seem to be a defensive wiz based on both the hearns and duran fights so what attributes contributed to his championship run.

Irate him ordinary as a champion, and ordinary as a boxer! Pepino had a very strong left hand and if he caught you he could hurt you! Other than that he had little defense and offense. He was beaten threw out his career by ordinary fighters and when he was in tuff he lost! Weston had him beat and fought for half the fight with a broken jaw! Harlod was a good second tier guy and if he had power he would have beaten Pepino.
    To me Cuevas was second tier fighter who took advantage of his opportunities to become a champ but was one of the lesser talented men to hold a welter title! I think he was stopped 6 times in 35 bouts, something like that! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
      Irate him ordinary as a champion, and ordinary as a boxer! Pepino had a very strong left hand and if he caught you he could hurt you! Other than that he had little defense and offense. He was beaten threw out his career by ordinary fighters and when he was in tuff he lost! Weston had him beat and fought for half the fight with a broken jaw! Harlod was a good second tier guy and if he had power he would have beaten Pepino.
      To me Cuevas was second tier fighter who took advantage of his opportunities to become a champ but was one of the lesser talented men to hold a welter title! I think he was stopped 6 times in 35 bouts, something like that! Ray
      Plenty of bias and misinformation. All but one of Cuevas' early losses came before he was 16 in Mexico. After that he dominated until he fought Hearns. Weston was totally outgunned and didn't come close to winning. Anyone can find that fight on YouTube to verify it. Weston came a LOT closer to beating Wilfredo Benitez to be honest. But I'm sure if Cuevas had worked out in your gym you would have thought that he **** gold bricks.

Comment

Pipinoz a pure puncher so his chin had to be solid for him to make it as far as he did. nobody deals with hearns power at 147 so I don't hold that against him but everybody he fought was able to hit him and i'm talkin about his title days, he never had no movement or defense so he got hit a lot and never took a backward step. he really couldn't move back so well I think u know what I mean. a puncher like pipino usually does lose points n rounds to a boxer like Weston right up until he starts hammering the boxer and then the fight is either over shortly after or the scoring reverses and the puncher takes over so what happened with Weston wasn't no indication on pipinos chin. of courseit couldn't b cuz Weston had very little punchin power. pipino had a good chin

Comment

Are you saying he was another "great champion"? Was he another ATG?
          scot9954..........enlighten me on how Pepino wasn't a one dimentional fighter!
          He didn't have the best whiskers either, he was a strong puncher who couldn't handle other strong punchers....very typical!!
          He was never near my gym azzhole but if I say I worked with a fighter you could go to the bank on it ok jerk!!!
          To take my post and quote tells me your just looking for a confrontation why not troll else where and leave a good discussion alone without your sarcastic remarks to me! If you have a problem send it through the PM route instead of ruining someone elses thread! Grow Up! Ray

Comment

Two words - LEFT.....HOOK!

Boy he had a hammer!

Comment

Cuevas started young, then had a strong run when he was pretty tough to beat. I thought that maybe luck smiled upon him in the scoring of the Randy Shields fight, and Shields, while a personal childhood hero of mine, was no great fighter.
              And neither was Cuevas, and I think his final record is pretty indicative of that. He had a strong run but to call him 'great' is stretching it.

Comment

PipIno Cuevas

Good.....not great....I don't think he is a HOFer

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
                  Are you saying he was another "great champion"? Was he another ATG?
                  scot9954..........enlighten me on how Pepino wasn't a one dimentional fighter!
                  He didn't have the best whiskers either, he was a strong puncher who couldn't handle other strong punchers....very typical!!
                  He was never near my gym azzhole but if I say I worked with a fighter you could go to the bank on it ok jerk!!!
                  To take my post and quote tells me your just looking for a confrontation why not troll else where and leave a good discussion alone without your sarcastic remarks to me! If you have a problem send it through the PM route instead of ruining someone elses thread! Grow Up! Ray
                  I wasn't trolling anything Corso. I simply pointed out why your post was biased and misleading. Didn't say he was great, but I thought your post crapped all over a very tough competitor who did a lot of damage in his prime. You said that he struggled against Harold Weston and I invited anyone else here to view that fight on YouTube and see the truth. I also didn't doubt your comments about who you knew, just that you are consistently biased toward anyone who fought in your era and in the Northeast US.

Sorry that you have such thin skin about anyone who questions you. And I will never send you a PM or respond to any of yours. Have a nice weekend.

Comment

Working...
                  X