Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was the Angulo-Tsurkan fight allowed to go to long?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was the Angulo-Tsurkan fight allowed to go to long?

kevin iole from yahoo says so. what do you think?

here is his mailbag article.

Sergio Martinez, Yuriorkis Gamboa and Alfredo Angulo delivered brilliant performances on Saturday. And so did HBO commentators Jim Lampley, Lennox Lewis and Max Kellerman.

But all of it was marred by a poor decision by referee Tony Crebs in Angulo’s technical knockout victory over Andrey Tsurkan in Temecula, Calif.

Crebs allowed Tsurkan to absorb a frightful beating, ignoring the fact that Tsurkan had no chance to win the bout and was taking potentially damaging shots to the head.

With a minute left and Angulo battering Tsurkan, Lampley began shouting to Tsurkan, “Go down! Go down! Save yourself. Go down!” Lewis chimed in at that point by adding, “I don’t know what the referee is looking at.” Lampley then said, “There is no point.”

Tsurkan’s corner mercifully threw in the towel with 33 seconds left, which it should have done several rounds earlier.

Crebs clearly erred in not stopping the bout sooner, as all he did was allow Tsurkan to sustain punishment from a hard hitter. Good for Lampley and Lewis and, to a lesser extent, Kellerman, for having the courage to speak out against the referee and the athletic commission. Boxing needs more commentary like that. It certainly doesn’t need media praising Tsurkan’s bravery and ignoring the danger that existed in that fight.

Crebs’ decision detracted from a night in which Martinez emerged from obscurity with a superb effort against Alex Bunema and proved he’s ready to fight anyone at super welterweight. Given Oscar De La Hoya’s intention to continue fighting in 2009, he ought to consider Martinez as an opponent.

Gamboa, the 2004 gold medalist from Cuba, is reckless offensively and has defensive flaws, but he is fun to watch and has big-time skills. When he hones them, he’s going to be a major force.

With that, let’s get on to a busy mailbag. My answers to your questions are in italics
    yes
    25.00%
    no
    50.00%
    not sure
    0.00%
    i love you mel(no homo)
    25.00%
    Last edited by MELLY-MEL...; 10-08-2008, 09:43 AM.

I thought it was, it could have been stopped after the 7th.

Comment

Working...
    X