• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virgil was fantastic.

Comment

Originally posted by _original_ View Post
      Virgil was fantastic.
      Indeed...I'm torn between having him coach me or Stephen "Breadman" Edwards...

Comment

Originally posted by TripleGFightFan View Post
        Gave atg instructions to war andre after the knock down and coached him to his greatest victory...all hail the hall of famer O.G. Boxing Coach Virgil Hunter!
        With 20 years with a pupil, you should be able to know what makes them tick; Hunter and Ward have that type of relationship, which is why Hunter knew exactly what Ward needed to hear during the fight.

You add what he's been able to do with Angulo, Khan, Berto, what he was starting to do with Mares, etc, and it's pretty obvious that he's a heckuva teacher

Comment

Originally posted by Redd Foxx View Post
          THAT fight is what Virgil Hunter is about. These guys that tried to write him off as being a delusional witch doctor just don't get the psychology of the sport. Virgil got his fighter back in the game and helped him climb that mountain. I don't know if Dre could have done it without Virg.

"I told him, you might get knocked down because you're going to have to go get it!"
          Lol that dude is like the "Fighter whisperer." Virgil is a trip but he's good.

Comment

Originally posted by deathofaclown View Post
            He's a great motivator!

Is it just me, or does he very very rarely give any actual instructions between rounds? I can't really recall him doing that ever.

I get that with Ward he probably doesn't need to so much. But i noticed with Berto and Khan he rarely gives them instructions when they probably actually need it sometimes.
            Hunter builds the habits/tactics in the gym, and makes sure to keep his fighter's mind in the fight the best he can on fight night. Berto fighting Mayweather was a tough matchup to begin with, but Hunter got Berto as ready as he could get him in the gym and then made sure to try and keep Berto's head in the fight come fight night.

Khan got all of the instruction he needed during the camp for the Alvarez fight (even the little bits of footage that did get shown were focused on Hunter teaching the types of tactics that he viewed would work for Khan); fight night comes, Hunter does what he can to keep Khan's head in the fight, Khan sticks with Virgil for 3-4 rounds, Khan inevitably loses his focus on the plan, and he ends up getting flattened on a simple mistake.

If you prep well, you're not left with having to call the tactics for the fight in the ring, imo

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
              With 20 years with a pupil, you should be able to know what makes them tick; Hunter and Ward have that type of relationship, which is why Hunter knew exactly what Ward needed to hear during the fight.

You add what he's been able to do with Angulo, Khan, Berto, what he was starting to do with Mares, etc, and it's pretty obvious that he's a heckuva teacher
              Yes he really is a great teacher...he maximizes his guys potential...

Comment

Originally posted by .:: JSFD26 ::. View Post
                Lol that dude is like the "Fighter whisperer." Virgil is a trip but he's good.
                LMAO...

Comment

Originally posted by Scipio2009 View Post
                  Hunter builds the habits/tactics in the gym, and makes sure to keep his fighter's mind in the fight the best he can on fight night. Berto fighting Mayweather was a tough matchup to begin with, but Hunter got Berto as ready as he could get him in the gym and then made sure to try and keep Berto's head in the fight come fight night.

Khan got all of the instruction he needed during the camp for the Alvarez fight (even the little bits of footage that did get shown were focused on Hunter teaching the types of tactics that he viewed would work for Khan); fight night comes, Hunter does what he can to keep Khan's head in the fight, Khan sticks with Virgil for 3-4 rounds, Khan inevitably loses his focus on the plan, and he ends up getting flattened on a simple mistake.

If you prep well, you're not left with having to call the tactics for the fight in the ring, imo

I agree with that, but i've also heard some fighters saying they like instructions between rounds.

I guess that's his style though anyway.

Comment

His corner style isn't for everyone. It's perfect for ward though. He damn near raised him

Comment

Not sure yet, Virgil just getting started as a trainer to be honest. Forget guy who are joining him Camp late in his career. Would like to see what he does with his next Prospect who like Ward he helped Raised. His next Prospect is Marlo Moore. Like Emmanuel Steward and KRONK Gym they was developing fighters from the ground up, those are truly the great Trainers not guys who get guys late in their career and just tag along for the RIDE

Comment

Working...
                      X